RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up Windows RT devices

edamiga1

I thought there was a full bare metal backup to skydrive?

In other words, if I have to replace my surface tablet with a new one I can just enter my user id and get a complete restore from the cloud including apps and settings for apps, settings for device and so on.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

Yes, actually. Not with skydrive, but with the live services. There is an option in the settings to sync your settings and apps. Was one the lower options on the list, IIRC.

I don't believe it is a bare metal backup though. The OS is not part of it. In reality, it probably just logs your apps and app settings. After you enter your id, it starts installing the apps and the settings. So just a wording problem.

BTW, I have not verified this. It is just the way I believe it works based on what I heard.

I don't believe it is a bare metal backup though. The OS is not part of it. In reality, it probably just logs your apps and app settings. After you enter your id, it starts installing the apps and the settings. So just a wording problem.

BTW, I have not verified this. It is just the way I believe it works based on what I heard.

Well, given that the OS is built in, I don't think a bare metal restore of it is of any real use, at least on the RT. But if you're right and it will re-install & re-configure apps, that would be fantastic.

Well, with Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise, it downloads the "windows preferences" and downloads the email account settings (except for passwords). And will download the other apps you've installed.