RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Scoping a 2012 Server essentials Build

Renny

In the coming weeks I plan on building a WSE 2012 box to take over the heavy lifting from my antiquated 2011 build.(E8200 core duo, Maxtor os HDD, etc)

Traditionally, all my old hardware gets cascaded into the server as I update my desktops and HTPCs, so with cash in hand I plan to build a nice server to run 2012 Essentials. I plan to recycle an old case of dubious provenance which will unfortunately not accommodate all the drives I propose.

Use case is pretty normal as follows:

• 5TB total data (but need room to grow)
  • Back up 4 PCs+Server
  • Media streaming
  • Some "on the fly" media trans-coding/conversion (but I try to limit this)
  • Remote access

So here are my specs using gear I already own (O) and stuff I plan to purchase (P)

Mobo: Either Z68 or Z77 (O)

CPU: Either i5 2550 or i3 2130 (O)

OS Drive: 60 GB Agility 3 hosted on the mobo (O) If anyone has a foolproof way to get the OS onto this drive it would me much appreciated,

Pioneer BD Drive for ripping (O)

2x2TB green drives in external eSata Sans Digital TRMB4 box(O) for PC and Server backup respectively (O)

​2x1TB Seagate 7200rpm Drives for movies and recorded TV in the Sans as well(O)

8GB DDR3 ram (O)......and now for the fun part

RocketRAID 640 4-Port SATA 6Gb/s PCI-E 2.0 x4 RAID HBA (P)

3x2TB WD Red Drives in Raid5 (P) for photos,music, docs, home videos hosted on the raid card.

From what I have read , Storage Spaces is a poor option hence my Raid 5 ambitions.

I can get out of this build for around A$600 delivered which is tolerable.

I know it may be a bit "over the top" for a server but any thoughts appreciated, but humor me if I am off the mark somewhere.

Cheers

Renny

Edited by diehard

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Renny

• Joe_Miner

First thing I see is the 60 gig drive for the OS, so know up front you need to configure the .inf files to accept that. I believe the OS looks for a 90 gig drive. The i5 would be a better choice of the two listed due to the transcoding requirement and why so much space allocated to backup? Is that for the client or the server backup?

First thing I see is the 60 gig drive for the OS, so know up front you need to configure the .inf files to accept that. I believe the OS looks for a 90 gig drive. The i5 would be a better choice of the two listed due to the transcoding requirement and why so much space allocated to backup? Is that for the client or the server backup?

Plan to use separate 2tb drive for each of client and server backups. Its just that they are the newest drives I have around. I also keep images of computers I have built for friends to save time in repairs if they blow them up.

Thanks for the advice.

Plan to use separate 2tb drive for each of client and server backups. Its just that they are the newest drives I have around. I also keep images of computers I have built for friends to save time in repairs if they blow them up.

Thanks for the advice.

You certainly don't need 2TB for the OS backup, unless you plan to back up the entire server. I only back up the system drive.

So the eSata Sans Digital TRMB4 box is configured as JBOD?

It is Raid 5 capable but JBOD will do the job.

I am thinking I will carry over my current practice of mirroring server folders on the server proper to folders on the backup drives in the Sans for added redundancy.

As Ikon points out client and server backups wont take up all that disk space.

While I think of it, I have had to do a restore of the WHS 2011 but when I looked at it recently the options for full system restore was only one instance on the same day. Is this normal for 2011?

Client backups are preserved for 6 months for monthly backups.

thanks

It is Raid 5 capable but JBOD will do the job.

I am thinking I will carry over my current practice of mirroring server folders on the server proper to folders on the backup drives in the Sans for added redundancy.

As Ikon points out client and server backups wont take up all that disk space.

While I think of it, I have had to do a restore of the WHS 2011 but when I looked at it recently the options for full system restore was only one instance on the same day. Is this normal for 2011?

Client backups are preserved for 6 months for monthly backups.

thanks

True on the amount of space but you cannot put server and client backups on the same volume, therefore the 2x2TB drives could not be mirrored. The server backup requires a dedicated drive.

A dedicated physical drive or partition for server backup?

I should have said that I would use Synctoy to replicate server folders proper to the backup drives in the Sans, not a Raid 1 type arrangement.

Edited by Renny

Not a partition, the entire drive will be allocated to the server backup. If you present a 2x2TB RAID 1 array for server backup, the entire space will be allocated for server backup and not available for any other purpose.