RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant N40L G7 MicroServer

Static

Hi ... my first post !!

Firstly I'm not a computer addict ... and don't like stuff that's overly complex.

I've just had an unpleasant experience with a Netgear NAS Duo (configured as a mirror) and lost nearly 2TB of data in the process. I had a failed drive and the 'hot swap' didn't work. When I tried copying the good drive to an external HDD for safety ... the 'good' drive died shortly into the transfer process ... not happy. Anyway I was just going to go to a USB connected external HDD enclosure with 2 drives and set them up as a mirror. However today I got an email from a local online store offering the Proliant for $249 (Australian). I've done a quick look around online and am wondering if this is a solution.

What I'm looking for is:-

• something simple
  • a home for video & audio files
  • able to be used as a library for iTunes on my iMac (which feeds 3 Apple TV's in the house)

So:-

• Is this a good solution for me ?
  • Is it easy to set up ?

Thank in advance ... and Hello from Brisbane, Australia !!

:)

G'day mate! :D Welcome to the forums.

I will leave the iTunes stuff to others who have more expertise. I would just like to urge you to adopt a good backup strategy. The 'golden' rule is 3-2-1:

• at least 3 copies of your data
  • on 2 different types of media
  • at least 1 copy off site (which include a cloud solution)

I must admit I do not follow the '2 types of media' any more, but I do have at least 4 copies of all my data and, in most cases, 5 copies. 2 of those copies are sets of drives that are rotated to and from an offsite location.

A good backup strategy isn't really expensive any more; hard drives are pretty cheap, and they hold a lot of data these days. I found the biggest part of the job was planning and setting up the strategy. Once in place, though, it's pretty much trouble-free.

You may think it's too much work, but you just lost a whack of data; I haven't lost any in decades.... just my $0.02.

As much as It pains me to say it, the Synology line of products, as Dave showcased them on Saturday, showed me things I was not aware they could do.

Do they still call it, "Icy Cream" down there?

• Like 1

As much as It pains me to say it, the Synology line of products, as Dave showcased them on Saturday, showed me things I was not aware they could do.

Do they still call it, "Icy Cream" down there?

You mean like being a TimeCapsule target? :D

I have to agree on the Synology. You will not have these problems with the Synology provided you put the right drives in it. Synology's website has a compatibility chart for drives that I always recommend following. As for iTunes, it will show up as a shared library just like the Macs in your house. I play music from my Diskstation and push it to Airplay for whole home distribution.

I would also recommend getting a couple of external drives to rotate backups and get one moved offsite. If possible I would do your most important files to a cloud option but I understand about the caps and speeds down under

I think it was answered. You asked about Hardware (the N40L) and what you seem to be asking is for a software solution, that's why I mentioned the Synology box which has all those features built into the device.

The N40L only allows you to load an operating system. So, your question should really revolve around which operating system can handle your requirements and WHS 2011 will do that quite nicely, regardless of the hardware it resides upon.

Guys,

Any chance of actually getting a reply to my question ?

I agree with jmwills. And, given your data loss, you were asking about a backup strategy, even if you didn't know it ;)