RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Esxi on the microserver.. I'd this possible?

jamin100

I'm looking at setting up my microserver to act as a backup server and a small home lab for 70-680

It's the n40l with 8gb ram. It's got a 160gb, 250gb 2 x 1tb and a 120gb ssd drive.

I'm looking for the best way to set all this up with esxi

I'm thinking about putting esxi on a USB drive on the internal USB port.

I'd then use the ssd to host the vm's.

I'd want one vm to act as a backup server for the macs in my house so looking for it to be able to access the 1tb drive. Not sure wether to use something like Freenas or a windows server for this?

The other vm's would be one server (2008r2) and 2 w7 clients. I'd use these to run through the labs in 70-680

The other thing is, I have no experience in esxi... Is all this even possible?

Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance

Absolutely possible and I have done this exactly as you describe with the exception of the additional storage. I think the internal port is a better option to keep everything secure.

Not sure how you will backup the MAC's but you could use Timemachine as the primary backup and then copy those files over to the server.

I have 2 hdds in my old iMac. One 1tb "data" drive and the other Is a 120gb SSD os and applications drive..

I'm currently using carbon copy cloner to copy the data onto a windows 2008r2 share wirelessly on the microserver

I just need something for labbing now and thought I'd get a bit of exposure to esxi at the same time

Edited by jamin100

Those drives would be designated as Data Stores or some sort of an array if this is even possible thru the N40L BIOS, not quite sure. To save room on those drives, make sure you "thin provision" the new Virtual Drives for any new VM.

This will insure that you do not use any more space that is actually needed to run with, In other words, you can actually over allocate the available drive if needed. Not physically but virtually.

Your limitation will be RAM and CPU allocation.

Interesting idea, I've been thinking about getting an esxi box up and running too. What kind of support/tools are available with the free version of esxi? Are you pretty much stuck doing things command-line or is there a decent UI? (as compared to, say, Hyper-V)

A lot of people have used the Microserver as an ESXI lab.

Check some of the links in http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/

as well as http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/67-hp-microserver/

A number of folks, like JMWillis, on this board have been running ESXI on the MicroServer

• 1 month later...

Yes, absolutely possible, but make sure you install more ram. It won't install with 2Gb of ram installed. I've upgraded my machine to 8Gb Kingston ECC ram.

Also, don't just download ESXi from VMWare, use HP's version as it includes all the drivers for the MicroServer and has a more advanced license (my copy allowed up to 32Gb ram). Here's the URL: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

Not sure how you will backup the MAC's but you could use Timemachine as the primary backup and then copy those files over to the server.

You can set up AFP on a Linux machine and trick a Mac into thinking it is a time capsule with about 15 minutes of work.

I sill prefer crashplan though, I use it on every computer I own for $40 a year.