RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ikon

Can't get My Server to work with my Windows Phone 7

ikon

On podcast 201, I saw Dave talking about using his Lumia 900 to connect to his WHS2011 and get alerts, view users, and other server related stuff.

I recently got a Lumia 900 so, naturally, I was intrigued. I downloaded & installed the WHS2011 Phone Connector Add-in onto my server and installed the Windows Phone component onto my Lumia 900. I made sure to install the one for WHS2011.

I started up the app on my phone and tried to add an account. When it asked for my server URL I entered the info and pressed Submit. What I got immediately is "The server specified could not be contacted".

I reviewed the documentation and, from what I could determine, if you can connect to your server using a browser it should be good to go. So I tried connecting to my WHS2011 using IE. It worked just fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Is my assumption about browser access wrong?

Dave

Mine would not work local. I had to set up the remote access domain option in order for it to work. That means opening up your router too.

ikon

Thanks for responding Dave.

My router is open. I am able to connect over my phone provider's 3G network to my WHS2011 from my Lumia 900, using IE.

I forget whether I set up the Remote Access Domain option. I will check it out.

ikon

Well, that's a No-Go. Remote Web Access insists I use 1 of only 2 Domain Name providers, one of them GoDaddy for Pete's sake. That ain't gonna happen. I wouldn't use GoDaddy if they paid me to use their service.

tojoski

You aren't using something.homeserver.com? I'm pretty sure that Godaddy is providing the signed SSL Cert for the Remote Web Access right out of the box.

In regards to the My Home Server app for WP7, I've been using it since it came out. Make sure to fwd both port 80 and 443. For the longest time I had issues connecting because I hadn't fwd'ed port 80.

Michael Brown

ikon, Not trying to be a smart a** but, seriously, trying to learn from those sharper than I. What's the problem with GoDaddy (other than they pimp Danica Patrick)?

ikon

GoDaddy's business practices make me throw up in my mouth. I won't do business with companies that do business the way they do. It's not only their sleezy advertising, which is bad enough. It's also their penchant for automatically renewing subscription(s) without permission, and making it almost impossible to cancel. You practically have to cancel your credit card to stop them from charging it. And the list goes on....

BTW, I'm not trying to influence anyone else, seriously. These are just my own values; I don't expect anyone else to follow them.

Dave

ikon, Not trying to be a smart a** but, seriously, trying to learn from those sharper than I. What's the problem with GoDaddy (other than they pimp Danica Patrick)?

Michael, coming to the meetup this Saturday? I use GoDaddy as a registrar and have for years. I can handle their website and ordering practices but I do have issues with their owner. It does take a little time to pull all your stuff off of them once you decide to do so.

Michael Brown

I would love to be there on Saturday as it's only about an our and 45 minutes away. However, my wife has had plans for that day for quite some time.

The reason for the GoDaddy question is that I use them also. I too have had problems with with their automatic renewals and am thinking about switching registrars.

Drashna Jaelre

Personally, I'm using enom. Yes, it's on the expensive side, But at least it's not godaddy. And jsut FYI, the remotewebaccess.com and homeserver.com domains are provided by... GoDaddy.

If you use the eNom one, it will automatically update the IP address, and at least partially configure the SSL cert for you. (you need to import the RapidSSL CA cert, but after that, it will grab and import the RapidSSL cert automatically).