RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ImTheTypeOfGuy

New Computer for the Kids

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Okay, one more question. Are all pciex16 slots pciex8 compatable. I have th GA-H55-USB3 MB in my HTPC and all it has is one pciex16, several pciex1 slots, and several pcix1 slots. I wanted to put a rocket raid 2720 in it but it is pciex8 so not sure if it will work? I want to build a raid 5 array.

Guest no-control

yes PCIe x16 wikk accept any PCIe card x1/x4/x8/x16

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks no-control for both answers. Looks like I will be moving the XPS to the kids computer and buy myself a new server. Excited!

Now to spec out a server. Anyone seen a good server build of late? I hate specing them out, just like the building. Keep in mind that I like to overbuild. As such, the microserver will not do for me. Not even if it was only $5.

Anyone that usese Crashplan ever change servers? Is it as easy as brining the old one down and naming the new one the same thing so that all the backups are kept and it doesn't see it as a new computer and start backing everything up?

ikon

Sounds like there's an i7 in your future server :)

BTW, if you don't want that MicroServer you buy for $5, I'll take it off your hands for $6 :D

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Sounds like there's an i7 in your future server :)

BTW, if you don't want that MicroServer you buy for $5, I'll take it off your hands for $6 :D

Yes it will almost definitely be an i7 with 16 GB of memory or more.

I have all kinds of fun in my near future. I am going to put a RR 2720 in my HTPC and put five 3TB drives in RAID5 in it.

ikon

Are you not concerned about the noise level?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Are not concerned about the noise level?

No.

foy1der

Given your comment I verified the game was Minecraft.

Thanks for all the responses and think I will lean towards trying it on the HTPC first as that is my preferred option (I want the new toy). :)

This could be a great bonding experience, if you want to play multi player you will need to install the server version.

Also don't let the graphics fool you. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it requires more than integrated graphics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ImTheTypeOfGuy

This could be a great bonding experience, if you want to play multi player you will need to install the server version.

Also don't let the graphics fool you. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it requires more than integrated graphics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nice thought but that isn't going to happen as I despise games. I might play NCAA football on the PS3 with him once a month. I would prefer to have a finger broken. Actually, I don't like much indoors; I am a little selfish indoors. But get us outside and I will do just about anything they want. That is where we bond. I leave the inside for the wife to bond with them. :)