RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ImTheTypeOfGuy

New Computer for the Kids

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It looks like it is time to replace the Dell Dimension 8400 the kids are using. This computer has been serving us well for about ten years but one of my kids has a game that won't work on it. So I am torn between just buying a cheap pc from Dell to replace it or use my HTPC hardware for the kids computer and then upgrade the HTPC. What would you do.

PS You can see the computers in my signature.

jmwills

Build a new one and then use some sort of virtual environment for the old games that may not play on a WIN7 platform

cskenney

I am curious what game won't work as that might determine what you do. Also, since you appear to keep the kids computer for a long time a new build might be the best idea.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am curious what game won't work as that might determine what you do. Also, since you appear to keep the kids computer for a long time a new build might be the best idea.

I think it is called minecraft. He is only 9 so I don't expect it to require much (I haven't looked yet). It won't run on the 8400 because of the graphics card is not good enough.

jmwills

An onboard graphics card from one of the Sandy or Ivy Bridge boards might be able to handle it.

Joe_Miner

It looks like it is time to replace the Dell Dimension 8400 the kids are using. This computer has been serving us well for about ten years but one of my kids has a game that won't work on it. So I am torn between just buying a cheap pc from Dell to replace it or use my HTPC hardware for the kids computer and then upgrade the HTPC. What would you do.

PS You can see the computers in my signature.

My vote is try it on the HTPC with the i3-530. If it works (you may have to add a newer graphics card) then that could be the new "kids" PC.

Then build yourself a new HTPC with a Ivy Bridge or wait a few months for the Haswell's next Spring/Summer.

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Minecraft? I'm amazed it requires a better GPU. It's a 'retro' game where you build virtual worlds. It looks like old VGA 8-bit graphics.

In any case, it's almost certain the Intel onboard GPU will be able to handle it, so I would repurpose the HTPC. My main reason for saying that is that, in a few years, the kids will be wanting to play much more graphic intensive games and they will want a much more powerful PC. I would build them a new machine at that time.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Minecraft? I'm amazed it requires a better GPU. It's a 'retro' game where you build virtual worlds. It looks like old VGA 8-bit graphics.

In any case, it's almost certain the Intel onboard GPU will be able to handle it, so I would repurpose the HTPC. My main reason for saying that is that, in a few years, the kids will be wanting to play much more graphic intensive games and they will want a much more powerful PC. I would build them a new machine at that time.

Given your comment I verified the game was Minecraft.

Thanks for all the responses and think I will lean towards trying it on the HTPC first as that is my preferred option (I want the new toy). :)

ikon

Go for it! :D

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Another question. I have also thought about replacing my home server, which is the XPS 420 and making it the kids computer. The XPS is a Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz and the kids current computer, Dimension 8400, is a Pentium 4 560 @ 3.6 GHz. I don't know processors very well so is the XPS processor better than the 8400. The XPS has 4 GB of Ram versus 2 for the 8400 so that would be a good improvment.