RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External hard drive recommendations for whs2011 box?

capall

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I see your WD Green, and raise you a Seagate :D

Yes, a seagate is a significant raise. Not sure I can cover your bet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• capall

• Drashna Jaelre

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

Drashna Jaelre

Ewwww, he said the 'S' word :D

What's wrong with seagate?

I mean, the fact that with WD Green drives, I've seen a significant hit in their performance. Not to mention, I can use Seagate AF drives in XP without a silly jump. Also, failure rate-wise, in my experience, Seagate and WD are about the same. But at least I get more than 15MB/s READ speed from the "S" Green drives. :)

In my experience, and that of a lot of my colleagues, the failure rate between WD and Seagate is anything but 'about the same'. Not counting the Green drives, we've found Seagate to be much less reliable, and to have significantly shorter lifespans.

I no longer buy WD Green drives, for the same reason I don't buy Seagate. That said, I will also say that I don't believe the WD Greens actually fail as often as Seagates - they just develop too many bad sectors, too quickly.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

In my experience, and that of a lot of my colleagues, the failure rate between WD and Seagate is anything but 'about the same'. Not counting the Green drives, we've found Seagate to be much less reliable, and to have significantly shorter lifespans.

I no longer buy WD Green drives, for the same reason I don't buy Seagate. That said, I will also say that I don't believe the WD Greens actually fail as often as Seagates - they just develop too many bad sectors, too quickly.

You can't say, not counting the green drives. That is like saying not counting the WD failures. My experience has been everything but they are equal. WD = junk, unless black drive.

I can, and did. :)

Here's the thing. I have found all WD drives to be reliable and long-lived, except the Greens. I've had RE2s, RE4s, Blacks, Blues, and Scorpios. I've had good experiences with all of them.

I basically consider the Greens to be an anomoly with respect to WD, since they seem to be the only drives they make that don't live up to the name. I have no idea why that it.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, I've only used Seagates for nearly 5 years, with only two drive failures. And not as single DOA. And they were all green drives (a few of the new ones aren't). But the 3-4 WD drives I've had have all developed issues within a year. Including the one I need to replace in my HP laptop. (scorpio Black).

Oh, and if we get to exclude huge swathes of drives based on type, I think we should eliminate seagate consumer drives, and see how that adjusts the failure rate. Somehow, I think that would make WD drives look like they drop like flies. :)

Again, this is based on my personal experience, which seems to be very different from yours. Which is fine. Oh, and in my time in the WHS community (since around jan 2008), i've heard horror stories about EVERY brand of drive. People claiming ... well the same thing you have. About every brand of drives Which reminds me, anyone got that link to the google data center report?

Drashna Jaelre

Oh, and did i mention how utterly satisfying it is to rip apart a 3TB Seagate backup Plus drive for the ST3000DM001 HDD that is inside? Not to mention you end up with a very nice external enclosure? Warranty be d****d.

OK, Off the top, let me just say I completely discount the google report. Why? Because the way enterprises use drives is so different from the way most consumers, and most definitely I, use them. Enterprises subject drives to things, particularly vibration, that you would never see in a typical consumer situation. For this reason, I think the google report is highly valuable to enterprises, but useless, and even possibly contra-indicative, to me.

Other than the Green drives (which I don't consider to be a 'whole swath'; it's just one of many WD brand types), my experience is that WD drives have been much more reliable than Seagate. In more than 10 years of using them, I have had exactly zero WD failures. BTW, that even includes the Green drives. I've never had one fail. I've just had issues that Green drives develop bad sectors too quickly for my liking.

I do find it very interesting that different people have really different experiences with drives. You've have good luck with Seagate and bad luck with WD; I've had the opposite. Sometimes I wonder if drive manufacturers ship drives from a specific factory to the same parts of the world all the time. It would be fascinating to find out whether there really is a difference in reliability or if you and I are just statistical anomolies on the outside edges of the bell curve :)

Drashna Jaelre

It's not that I've had bad luck with WD. I've had about the same number of WD drives die as Seagate. Now, i've had serious issues with "deathStars", maxtors, and a few other brands. Not much experience with Samsung. And I suspect my luck with seagate drives has to do with the fact that I'm kind of obsessive about making sure my HDDs are relatively cool.

And yeah, I suspect we are on the opposite ends of those bell curves. :)

I think we have very similar views on drives. I, too, am a fanatic about cooling. I'm also very attentive to vibration, which is one reason I'm liking the new WD Red drives so much - they have built-in, dynamic dampening.