RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migrating client backups from WHS 2011 to Server Essentials 2012

adminicus

Hi,

I've decided to move from WHS 2011 to Server Essentials 2012. I'm wondering if there's any way to migrate my old client backups? Obviously I'll use Essentials to create new backups, but the old backups contain data that's since been deleted, and having snapshots in time stretching back a year or more has been a godsend for me once or twice in the past... I'd really rather not lose these if it can be avoided.

Thanks,

-jim.

No, you can't migrate. The only way to use WHSv1 backups is with WHSv1. You would have to set up a WHSv1 server in order to retrieve any data from those backups. It's one of the reasons I don't back up my data with WHS, only the OS drives, so I can do bare metal restores.

I think Newbie specified WHS 2011, but I suppose it's the same problem. You could run a virtualized version of WHS 2011 to access the backups - maybe.

That's where my question comes in. Thinking of installing Server 2012 standard and running WHS 2011 in a VM under it. Plan to switch from Intel software raid to 2012's Storage Spaces for data redundancy will probably be faster if nothing else. That will necessitate changing around drives and letters. I'm hoping I can somehow virtualize my current WHS 2011 installation though have never tried such a thing before. Whether I can keep the old install or have to do a new one, is there a way to get either the virtualized old installation or the new WHS 2011 installation to recognize the computers that had been previously backed up and the folder that contains all the daily backups.

My bad. Either adminicus editted his post or I completely misread it ;)

In any case, AFAIK, you still can't migrate the backups.

As to your about virtualization, you could look at the idea of creating a VHD of your current WHS2011 and then import that VHD into a VM in WS2012. I don't know about the client computers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still recognized them.

Anyone around here know how to create a VHD from a current WHS install?

Or, is it as math textbooks used to say when I was in grad school many years ago: "The proof is left as an exercise for the reader." :rolleyes:

Thanks. I suppose that means I have to learn a lot more about Windows Server :( While I've always been interested, never had the need for anything past WHS.

I'm still trying to figure how to do this. Got more ram and am looking at drives.

One question is about how many VM's you can have under Server 2012 standard. Haven't been able to find a clear answer. I saw a reference somewhere about being allowed only two, but that seemed to apply to having servers running in VM's. Are there any limits on the number of non-server VM's?

Edited by Sorta Oldguy

Speaking of client backups, prior to installing WS2012e I was reading about faster incremental client backups than WHS2011. Unfortunately I've found them to be about the same; in same cases slower. Unless this is a function of WS2012e running in a Hyper-VM? Though my WHS2011 was also a VM and didn't seem to impact performance much.

Speaking of client backups, prior to installing WS2012e I was reading about faster incremental client backups than WHS2011. Unfortunately I've found them to be about the same; in same cases slower. Unless this is a function of WS2012e running in a Hyper-VM? Though my WHS2011 was also a VM and didn't seem to impact performance much.

Did you find the WHS2011 backups to be slow? I know I don't.