RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Hanzoy

Antivirus software for Server 2012 Essentials

tinkererguy

Well, darn, the article also says this:

Note This update only applies to Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 clients that are integrated with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007.

and getting all that installed is a bit of a pain in a home lab with just a few systems.

ikon

getting all that installed is a bit of a pain in a home lab with just a few systems.

LOL, ya think? :D

marky9074

So has anybody tried endpoint now SC2012_SP1 is released...

I don't want to manage any clients, just some basic AV for the server...

marky9074
Late to the game but use AVG file server version. no performance issues, fairly cheap and you can drive two servers.  I a have been very happy with both the latest as well as new the version.

http://thedocsworld.net/avg-antivirus-file-server-edition/

Thanks for that :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Jason

Is AVG certified for WS2012? Am running Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). Not sure which is better or less resource intensive.

marky9074
Is AVG certified for WS2012? Am running Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). Not sure which is better or less resource intensive.

It says it is on their web site

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

pcdoc

I see very little to no overhead issues running AVG.  I have it running on Server 2012, WHS 2011, and SBS 2012 with no issues.  I believe they have a trial version so give it a shot and see what you think.

Jason

Installed the AVG trial on my box. Something about it seems clunky. Can't put my finger on it yet. On several occasions the app just hung up and had to be forced closed. Will spend some more time with it to see if not an isolated incident.

LoneWolf

I've run AVG in the past as an inexpensive client-server solution for a business that wanted the server to be a central point for downloading updates and needed an inexpensive solution for their server and 20 client workstations.  At the time, it worked fine, but it has been several years.

I haven't worked with the server side since then; I found the client versions (like many AV programs) seem to have become more bloated.  If you don't have an existing license and just want inexpensive protection in the form of a client qualified to run on a server, then I'd go AVG.  If you already have an available client license, I'd choose Symantec in unmanaged mode, which, as an enterprise product, is reasonably low on resources (unlike some of the end-user products, which I'm not impressed with).

Edited by LoneWolf