Hanzoy

Antivirus software for Server 2012 Essentials

64 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm thinking about installing 2012 Essentials. What antivirus software are you guys using?

On my previous WHSv1, and current WHS2011, I'm not running any AV. I may well do the same for 2012. I don't use my servers to surf the web (except for Windows Update) so I think I'm pretty safe.

I use Microsoft's Security Essentials on all my PC's and Servers. Easy to install and not a bother at all.

I thought MSE refuses to install on some server versions, or are you saying it does install on the versions you have running?

Security Essentials?? Didn't know that is was possible.

I am running Forefront on my 2011 box.

A tutorial on installing it can be found here

(Credit to Tinkertry)

I thought MSE refuses to install on some server versions, or are you saying it does install on the versions you have running?

Sorry, your right, it's been a while. For my WHSv1 I have an old SE build that runs properly, and for the 64x servers I use Tinkertry's Forefront install shown by Renny.

No problem diehard; just wanted to be sure. I have heard of the ForeFront installation 'trick'. Unfortunately, MS is terminating FF :(

Since this is now domain setting, Forefront is a very good choice.

While I haven't used it, I've heard good things about FF. Anyone recall what MS is doing about AV for the future? Wasn't there something about them building AV into each product, tailoring it for each product's needs?