RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NAS instead of whs2011 for first server ?, now that whs2011 is discontinued

capall

I would not count any of your hardware when calculating your expenses. That hardware could be used to run a lot of different software: e.g. many flavours of Linux.

That's one of the beauties of Windows Server; it will run on lots of different hardware. Synology, on the other hand, is similar to Mac. The software runs fine, but only on their hardware.

I would suggest you consider the option of having a VM WHS2011 for your client backups and perhaps a Synology or other device for other functions. If you think about it, $50 for the best bare metal restore product on the market is a bargain.

Myself, I think I will staying with the MS Server products for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

• jsox

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not count any of your hardware when calculating your expenses. That hardware could be used to run a lot of different software: e.g. many flavours of Linux.

That's one of the beauties of Windows Server; it will run on lots of different hardware. Synology, on the other hand, is similar to Mac. The software runs fine, but only on their hardware.

I would suggest you consider the option of having a VM WHS2011 for your client backups and perhaps a Synology or other device for other functions. If you think about it, $50 for the best bare metal restore product on the market is a bargain.

Myself, I think I will staying with the MS Server products for the foreseeable future.

Hi ikon,

Thanks for taking the time to post to my rant. I have to agree that one thing is keeping server alive right now and has saved my family's and my butt more then once, I don't think I would use WHS 2011 though because WSE 2012 is faster at backups then WHS 2011 but man that's overkill for a backup server, I wish Microsoft would do what they did with Media Center and just make a backup package that we could install on any Windows box.

You can dump WHS and use something like acronis for bare metal restores. So there are options out there, just not as seemless as WHS. As for your dilemma all I can tell you is what I am doing and that is using WHS v1 for backups and file shares. Everything else (ie secondary backups, media server, etc) I use s2008r2.

On top of the pros listed so far on whs2011, the other feature that swayed me towards whs2011 over NAS's boxes, Synology or otherwise, is the hardware recovery options. In the case of NAS's, if the OS or internal hardware dies, you've probably lost all your data and certainly the whole box, although it should be backed up anyway. However, not so, for the most part with a windows servers, your data should still be safe if the OS drive, power supply, motherboard etc dies..and these can be repaired or replaced.

On the other hand, NAS's and in particular Synology, have increasingly more advanced software with various media streaming apps, that may or may not be comparable to other streaming options on the market if using a windows/apple ecosystem. Just depends on what you want to do.

One thing worth mentioning, whether it's a NAS or WHS box, it's that's your only form of backup ----- you are in trouble.