• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

• jsox

Top Posters In This Topic

+++ here.

I have my data on the client but the OS & PROGRAMS are just as important. Malware & Virus problems are quickly and easily fixed by a bare metal restore of the system partition in less than 10 to 15 minutes. WHS 2011 has not failed me yet and it requires almost zero maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still on V1 and the bare metal restore capability, or rather the lack of it, on a smartNAS solution like a Synology or Drobo weighs heavily on my mind. For a while I thought that the Windows built-in image tool might be a reasonable compromise. While manual and not de-duplicated, it does work. I've discovered, however, that creating an image on a network drive is not available in all versions. Windows 7 Starter, Home, and Home Premium are local image only. Only in Pro and up can you hit a network drive. I have at least 5 Home Premium or lower devices on my home network currently. Still thinking about this...

I'm still on V1 and the bare metal restore capability, or rather the lack of it, on a smartNAS solution like a Synology or Drobo weighs heavily on my mind. For a while I thought that the Windows built-in image tool might be a reasonable compromise. While manual and not de-duplicated, it does work. I've discovered, however, that creating an image on a network drive is not available in all versions. Windows 7 Starter, Home, and Home Premium are local image only. Only in Pro and up can you hit a network drive. I have at least 5 Home Premium or lower devices on my home network currently. Still thinking about this...

Are you talking about bare-metal restore of the server or the clients?

It isn't as seamless as v1 but several have been using acronis to create an image. It doesn't care if your clients are starter edition or anything else.

Acronis is a good solution if you have only a couple of systems and you have enough storage. Acronis will use up more space as the image is per client and does not have single instance backup. I love Acronis and use it on my Server and my main PC while the other PC's use only WHS-2011. Remember that WHS will only backup clients that have less than 2T so a strategy of using central data + bare metal is best. I do not really agree with the practical side of a cloud only solution. If you have allot of data, it becomes impractical, does not offer bare metal restore, and can be very slow. A subset such as skydrive is awesome but not for everything. Just my two cents.

pcdoc, we agree. Having a WHS just for bare-metal client restore is worth it, all by itself IMHO. Add central data backup on the WHS to that and I think it's pretty compelling. All the other services have their uses, but it really is necessary to take care of the basics by protecting your LAN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Glad I found this thread because I am thinking on pulling the plug on WHS 2011 and WSE 2012 for a Synology box but the one thing that has me on the fence is the fantastic bare-metal-restore that Microsoft has, Some say like JimC that its becoming more and more none important for bare metal restore because of windows 8 but that restore has saved my butt more then once but on the other hand I am getting really tired of Microsoft BS with their server offerings for example give us windows home server with drive extender then discontinue DE then Discontinue Windows Home Server and give us WSE 2012 for business and include storage spaces aka DE replacement, OMG what else is next with Microsoft and at a 425.00 price tag for WSE 2012 if you don't have a tech-net or msdn subscription and for the record I do, What is Microsoft going to do to us?? As it is they have wasted four years of my money and life investing in home server only to take it away from us not to menchine media center is rip out of windows 8, Ya I know they threw us a bone and gave us all a FREE license key till Jan 2013 for people on Windows 8 Pro but for god sakes what else are going to do to us?? I don't know about you all but I am done with Microsoft games and looking at other offerings, I just purchased a Synology DS213 two bay NAS for testing and I must say I absalutly love the box and would move to it in a heart beat but the one thing and only one thing that has me on the fence is that bare-metal-restore, If it was not for that I would of already pulled the plug on Microsoft servers and never look back. What do you all think??? Anyone else moved to something else????

Yes I am on a rant with Microsoft it you all cant tell by my post and that's because I have spent thousands of dollars on my setup for windows home server and now they have totally taken Home Server away from us all without any remorse. To give you an idea of what I have spent investing in Microsoft for my home server I have a Norco 4224 case 400.00, A RocketRaid 2760 Raid Card 600.00, Plus my core i5 processor and Gigabyte mother board and ram and power supply, UPS, Ect. , Yes folks I have about 3500.00 - 4000.00 invested in my setup with rack to hold all my equipment and I am getting dame tired of Microsoft saying well that's it hope you all had fun because the party is over, What do you all think??

Edited by Mr Fixit