RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NAS instead of whs2011 for first server ?, now that whs2011 is discontinued

capall

Hi all,

I've had some great help from you all over the last few months when I was deciding on and setting up a HP Microserver with whs2011, and I know this has been debated many times before, however, before I jump in completely to it and have it solely store all my files (docs, photos, musics etc to about 1TB), I was wondering what your thoughts might be at the moment vs a NAS, such as a 2bay Synology box, with respect to the fact that whs2011 is now discontinued.

My angle on this is

-I'm an enthusiast setting up a first server to contain all docs, photos, music and videos (about 2-4 TB) and serve around the home

-wanting remote access to stream to ipads etc

-bare metal restores don't seem to be as important now that all the data is on the server, tablets increasingly replacing laptops, and Synology (at least) seem to have improved greatly their backup software

thoughts?

capall

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

• jsox

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're being premature about WHS2011. It may be discontinued for retail sale, but it still has years of continued support, AND, OEMs call still sell WHS2011 as part of a home server package until 2025.

Still no better PC back up for bare metal restore than a WHS. If that is what you want, either track down a copy of 2011 (supported forever) or wait and see what the real pricing comes out to be with 2012. Most people are freaking out over $425, but I think that could change later next year.

If you don't need that back up and you are just wanting a file store, then a NAS can do you quite well. Just make sure you are backing up that NAS either off site or to something fire proof. Remember 3-2-1.

Dig in a bit. Listen to some folks and good luck.

Thanks Guys,

Jcollision's comment is one of the points I was fighting with, which is that my feeling is the whs2011's really strong point is bare metal restore and client backup, but as I've been researching this server stuff over the last 12 months and since bought a HP Microserver + whs2011, I've re-considered my setup to having all my data on the server, making its a file store essentially (which would be backed up to an ext. drive and the cloud) instead of having the data on client computers and backed up to the server, the latter somewhat negates the need for bare metal restore and client backups. Hence coming back to the NAS topic, for its setup simplicity, and ongoing add-on development.

capall

I would disagree pretty strongly that having all the data on the server negates the need for PC backups. I, in fact, do not use my WHS to back up data at all, and never have. I use it to back up the OS drives of my computers, so that they can be restored easily.

If a computer gets trashed on you, it will take more than a day to manually reinstall the OS, apply all the updates, and install & update all the apps. WHS can restore most PC's in less than 30 min. And, you don't forget anything; it reinstalls the entire C: drive as it was.

Also, I tried the 'all my data on the server' approach, and I know some others are doing it, but I would give this caution: consider what happens if your server goes down and can't be restored for a few days. How do you get at your data? This is exactly what happened to me. Because of this, I now keep my data on both my local desktop and the server. The data on my local desktop is copied up to my server every night by a Scheduled RoboCopy Task.

In the end, you have to do what's best for you. I just want to give you some checkpoints to consider.

Thanks ikon

(firstly, apologies if some of this is crossing over to my other post that you've responded. I'm not trying to double up, but I guess its all connected)

So, in your case, you use

-whs to back up your clients OS and programs (including the desktop), so the OS and all programs can be easily restored when they crash

-Your desktop has all your data which is "copied" (with Robocopy) to the server. Is the advantage of this, that if a drive fails in either the desktop or server, you can simply insert a new drive and copy over from the other drive copy, vs doing a "restore" from a server backup.

Thanks

That's part of it for sure. As I just posted in the other thread, it also means I can get at my data from any PC in the house, as long as the server is up - no restoration required.

thaks ikon,

sorry if this is a stupid Q, if a drive goes down in the desktop would you then simply replace it with a new drive and then sync it to its equivalent drive in the server, with the sync software, and vice versa

Thanks

Pretty much that's it. Of course, I have further backups from the server, 1 nearline, and 2 that are rotated offsite. They, too, are copies using RoboCopy.