RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
foy1der

Hardwire Everything, Right?

foy1der

I'm in the middle of a pretty large home remodeling project and I am going to run CAT6....everywhere. Places like my home office, I plan to make something like 4 data runs for things like desktop computer connection, notebook, networked printer(?), and expansion. I'm a firm beliver in having it and not needing it.

Anyway on to my question. As far as locations where I plan to put a TV, the kitchen for instance, do you think that I should make 2 runs? I am thinking that whatever TV I get, it will have an ethernet port, and I imagine I will connect a computer to it, So 2 ethernet runs makes sense to me. Dare I go 3? That's actually crazy right?

So those of you that have had the opportunity to wire the whole house while it was gutted, did you make an insane amount of runs? Was it worth having more than you needed?

jmwills

Make at least one run to every room and yes include the bathroom. In rooms where you might have have heavy usage, such as a media room, I would go at least two runs, possibly three. The third could hold a wireless access point.

Relatively speaking, cable is cheap and so are 24 port switches. I would also think about wiring a room to hold a backup device/server that is separate from your WHS.

The walls are gutted so besides a couple of hundred dollars in gear, your only other expense is labor which is free. The investment will pay off handsomely if you decide to sell.

foy1der

When I moved into the house I ran 4 to the living room, 1 to the basement workbench, 3 to the desk that my server sits on, and 2 to the dining room. What I plan to do and have started doing is to run 2 to the kitchen, one to one side of the master bedroom, 2 to the other side. 2 to the guest bedroom, and 4 to the office. so that comes to 21. I have purchased a 24 port patch panel and plan to upgrade to a 24 port switch when the remodel is nearing completion.

I think what I was looking for was affirmation that I wasn't insane, and I've already run 2 cables to the kitchen. I really like your idea of putting another server in other part of the house. I think that I will be doing that. Because if there is one thing that I really need, its another server.

jmwills

I have the main server in the wiring cabinet closet and the COOP server on the other end of the house. I should be able to get to one in case of disaster. Forgot about the kitchen.....good one there.

And there's always Carbonite running.

cskenney

I guess this really depends on your budget. If you can afford to do 2 runs from each location then I would do it.

Make sure you are using a LAN tester to make sure you don't install a faulty run and only find out after the walls are closed up.

Renny

I just ran one cable to each room and use switches to handle multiple devices. If you are running a gigabit network you will not see any degradation running several devices at the same time.

Joe_Miner

-snip-

Dare I go 3? That's actually crazy right?

So those of you that have had the opportunity to wire the whole house while it was gutted, did you make an insane amount of runs? Was it worth having more than you needed?

It's not crazy. If you're thinking 3 then go 3 to be safe.

I'd also consider running RG-6 around the house too.

ikon

Always run at least 2 to 3 times as many as you think you'll need. I highly discourage the use of single runs to rooms and using switches to handle multiple devices in those rooms. That is, unless you can arrange for those single runs to be 10 Gbit, but that's pretty expensive.

I completely agree with cskenny re: the LAN tester. A simple wiring tester is not adequate IMHO. Just ensuring the wires are paired up right won't tell you how good the connections are, or what the true capacity of the wiring is.

foy1der

I guess this really depends on your budget. If you can afford to do 2 runs from each location then I would do it.

Make sure you are using a LAN tester to make sure you don't install a faulty run and only find out after the walls are closed up.

I'm not one to say that money is no object, but I'm a big fan of doing things the right way. I was said earlier, cable is cheap.

It's not crazy. If you're thinking 3 then go 3 to be safe.

I'd also consider running RG-6 around the house too.

I had completely forgotten about RG-6 I will have to run out tomorrow and get a couple hundred feet of that tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.

Always run at least 2 to 3 times as many as you think you'll need. I highly discourage the use of single runs to rooms and using switches to handle multiple devices in those rooms. That is, unless you can arrange for those single runs to be 10 Gbit, but that's pretty expensive.

I completely agree with cskenny re: the LAN tester. A simple wiring tester is not adequate IMHO. Just ensuring the wires are paired up right won't tell you how good the connections are, or what the true capacity of the wiring is.

I also really don't want switches all over the house. I envision a beautiful rack for my patch panel and switch(es), in fact it already looks pretty good, imo.

PA110031.JPG

ikon

I like your patch panel. It's nice & shallow. What make & model is it?

PS. that one cable coming from the top left looks a little on the tight side ;)