RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Terminal Server Has Exceeded Max Number of Allowed Connections

awraynor

I know I have a lot of problems lately, but here is another one. When I try to open the WHS console from the problematic netbook, I get the "The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections" message, when nothing else is connected to the WHS. Any ideas.

That's a common issue due to the server only allowing 2 connections. If you use remote desktop to the server always use the log-off command instead of closing the window.

If possible return to a machine that you last used the console or RDP from and you might be able to get back in that way. You have to restart the server to clear them or use the terminal services manager to reset it.

Otherwise you can use the Net Use command. I found a good example here. I always have to look up how to do it. One of these days I'll actually memorize it!

An easy way to do it is to remote into the server using RDP. Open the task manager and then go to the "users" tab. Right click all of the sessions and do "log off" (except for the one you are currently logged in as). That'll fix it for you.

That would explain why the desktop could RDC every time without difficulty, but that was the only other computer being used to connect. So I shouldn't have been exceeding the max of 2 connections?

I've encountered that a few times, and I think it's partially caused by connectors not properly closing (like putting the client to sleep without closing the connector). So it happens, even though it probably shouldn't. You'd think WHS would have something that would automatically close out idle terminal connections when that max is hit.

There is yet another problem that bugs me. When I open the console it takes a really long time to show the contents, even to the point it sometimes only displays the top banner or even only parts of that. I have a 495 with only DA2010, Avast console and advanced admin console as addins. Task manager under RDC shows less than 20% cpu use with about 600MB of ram active. So is it just me or is this common for others?

It sometimes takes awhile for me too. I wonder if it is doing the share calculations or something like that.

This problem went away for me on my i7 and Quad Core systems. So I don't know if it is just processor power or something else in the background.

To clear this issue with the console try this. When opening the console at the log in page is the Options link. Click it and choose "Reset the Windows Home Server Console... Everytime I see this "The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections" on my netbook I do this and it fixes it every time.

fasthair