RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace WS2012 with WS2012E in home environment?

Jason

Am seeking insight. Currently running WS2012 Standard on a Core i5 Ivy Bridge box with 16 GB RAM. On the server itself I'm running an FTP server and Handbrake for transcoding with power of the fast CPU. Aside from FTP and transcoding, the WS2012 box itself is largely functioning as a file server. Handbrake didn't leverage full power of CPU when virtualized.

However the WS2012 OS also has the Hyper-V role installed. Within Hyper-V, I have:

1.) WHS 2011 VM - currently used exclusively for client backups.

• WHS2011OS.vhd and Storage.vhd. Storage.vhd contains the client backup data.

2.) Win8Pro VM - this VM runs sabnzbd, sickbeard and a few other apps. Only consists of a WIN8OS.vhd file.

Am trying to determine whether to:

1.) Replace my existing WHS 2011 VM with a WS2012E VM? (this is what I've done thus far) or

2.) Wipe my WS2012 Standard OS and install WS2012E as my host OS. Then migrate all sabnzbd and sickbeard processing from Win8Pro VM directly onto the WS2012E box itself.

3.) Wipe WS2012 Standard OS, install WS2012E as host OS then apply a WS2012 Standard key to add Hyper-V role to WS2012E while still preserving the core benefits of WS2012E

Although many are of the opinion that apps shouldn't be installed on the server OS itself, option #2 would appear to be the cleaner, simplified configuration. Would appreciate the expert consensus among the regulars here :-) Thanks!

Option #2 it is! Thanks Diehard! I plan to blow away my WS2012STD install tonight and replace with Essentials, then install sabnzbd, sickbeard and Handbrake, etc. under the WS2012E OS. Appreciate your recommendation.

BTW, you bring up a hidden jewel. Yes, you can install Essentials with a Standard key to give you Hyper V. ;-) Then you can add up to 75 users, but only 25 can backup their PC's. You can also add WSUS if you wish.

Here's another vote. I run that same application on both a WIN7 and XP machine and it runs just fine in a virtualized environment.

I can't disagree more guys, :(

I am for keeping a clean host and installing vm guests for essentials, os's or what ever.

this allows for controls over restores,imaging,or if you just want to blow away an old install,

Minnimizing bare metal restores of the whole system. Ugh

My 2 cents :)

I can't disagree more guys, :(

I am for keeping a clean host and installing vm guests for essentials, os's or what ever.

this allows for controls over restores,imaging,or if you just want to blow away an old install,

Minnimizing bare metal restores of the whole system. Ugh

My 2 cents :)

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner, if only because I agree with you.

No way would I dirty up the OS with the other app's. I didn't know that about 2012E. I had written it off because it didn't have hyper-v. I guess I will have to reconsider.

Under certain circumstances you have a great point, however VM's have their place but have many limitations. I use a combination of both. VM's on 2012 and add on software on the other server. Things that need to access resources such as USB, direct hard drives, or other peripherals are better suited on bare metal. Streaming and capturing software are great for VM's.

If the VM's exist on a separate drive, all you have to do is import them to the new OS. Blow away the OS and import them as needed. To me it was not that big of a deal to wipe the SSD my 2008R2 was installed on and clean install 2012. I imported the VHD files from Disk1 and we were up and running in about an hour.