Greg Welch

Windows Server 2012 Essentials RTM

jmwills

Great post Susan and welcome aboard,

Jason

Agreed. Welcome Susan. Ironically when I tweeted to Paul that the SBSDiva "knocked" his run-hyperv-role-on-DC option, seems he glossed over that too ;-)

Joe_Miner

Welcome Susan -- enjoy your blog and your podcasts with HSS.

I think the real street price of S2012E will be less, significantly less, than the $425 list -- but if people perceive the value there they will pay the price.

I've run Win8 pro with hyper-v -- lots of hyper-v clients -- and it works very well. the only real issue I was unsure of was how to back up my machine including VM's that are running. I tried the Win7 version of the bare metal backup and the newer win8 file history but didn't/couldn't get it to work like server backup in 2008r2 or S2012 -- admittedly I probably don't know what I was doing so there may be a good solution out there. But if there's a solution to that -- then a central "file history" backup of everything is very interesting -- and it could be done with a $40 upgraded Win8 Pro -- that's what I think anyway.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Ditto

gcoupe

Ditto the welcome to Susan!

You know, I feel rather out of place around here when I read the posts. It's clear that most of the folks here are real techies (and I mean that in a good way!). Me, I would just like a simple life. I would love to have a real home server that just sat in the corner and did its work without fuss, without me having to have IT skills, and came in at a reasonable price.

WHS v1 made a reasonable stab at that. WHS 2011 tried to do more, and fell short. WS2012E is waving at me from another planet. It's not a Home Server, for a multitude of reasons...

ikon

WSE2012 is definitely in a different category from its predecessors. I suspect many will be using Win8 as their 'home servers' and finding some alternate way to do bare metal restores.

Drashna Jaelre

In my opinion you should NOT use Hyper-V in your WHS or Server. I would suggest that you install Hyper-V Core, free, on a machine and then create WHS as a guest on this. By doing this you can easily backup the WHS guest and restore your WHS as well as easily upgrade the hardware. It also allows me to still have my V1 and 2011 machines running on the same box and easily bringing them back to life.

Interested in why someone would want the Hyper-V running on the WHS and not the other way around?

Other than because they could? Actually, the recommended solution for running more than just Essentials (such as adding exchange, sharepoint, etc) is to grab Server 2012 Standard, install it on the machine, add the HyperV role (and just that) and then use the two VM licenses that come with Standard to install two VMs, rolling back one to 2012 Essentials, and install whatever else on the 2012 Standard VM.

Greg Welch

Other than because they could? Actually, the recommended solution for running more than just Essentials (such as adding exchange, sharepoint, etc) is to grab Server 2012 Standard, install it on the machine, add the HyperV role (and just that) and then use the two VM licenses that come with Standard to install two VMs, rolling back one to 2012 Essentials, and install whatever else on the 2012 Standard VM.

Would you join the Host machine with Hyper-V only to the essentials machines domain and if so how :)

Drashna Jaelre

the only downside is the cost of WS2012 Standard

Yup, Only the price of Two Essentials. Plus CALs. loads of CALs. :(

But then again, if you are upgrading Essentials to Standard in a real world environment, you require a MINIMUM of 25 user CALs. Which is $400~ (for essentials) plus $800~ (for standard, because you have to buy that seperately too) PLUS the cals... which I want to say are around $25 per user (I have no idea, but that number *seems* right for whatever reason). So if you want to use hyperV on it, 800 is MUCH better than 1200.

Would you join the Host machine with Hyper-V only to the essentials machines domain and if so how :)

Would I join the host to the Essentials Guest VM? Yes. Static IP for the Host, and static IP for the VM, set the DNS for host to the Essentials guest, And make sure you are using bridge, or whatever one treats the guest VM as just another computer on the network. That should work fine, I would think. Server Core would probably be the best bet too. Would need to test it .... if I had any computers capable of running Hyper V *and* running guests at a speed other than a crawl. (core i3 1.3GHz doesn't cut it)

I'm not sure what the recommended method is, but that *should* work, I think. Worst case, run the host as a workgroup computer, and that should be fine too.