Greg Welch

Windows Server 2012 Essentials RTM

Greg Welch    4
Greg Welch

RTM today on Technet 10-9-2012

tinkererguy    22
tinkererguy

Thank you for the heads-up Greg!

I put together the MSDN links as well, over here (seems MSDN members can claim up to 10 licenses):

http://tinkertry.com/ws2012e

jmwills    283
jmwills

Downloading now! Thanks for the heads up.

Jason    54
Jason

Can anyone recall whether WS2012E supports the Hyper-V role after all? I know early on it wasn't an option. I'd like to run WS2012E RTM as my primary OS but also have a single W8PRO hyper-VM to migrate.

Greg Welch    4
Greg Welch

Sorry no hyper- role in essentials,

Run it on top of standard and you would have the benefit of running another server (2max) ie 2012 hyper-v server or whs v1 :)

Jason    54
Jason

Greg - excellent point. I realize it's not a best practice to install applications on a server OS, but now I'm contemplating whether I can:

1.) install WS2012E RTM as the primary OS (instead of my current WS2012 Standard OS)

2.) eliminate my WHS 2011 hyper-v guest OS since now WS2012E would be performing client backups

3.) migrate my sabnzbd and sickbeard processes from my win8pro hyper-v guest OS directly to WS2012E (eliminating the need for Win8pro hyper-v guest os altogether)

"Essentially" this would phase out the Hyper-V role altogether. Though it was nice to have the Hyper-V role for experimenting.

Drashna Jaelre    149
Drashna Jaelre

If you "upgrade" to Standard, you *can* instally the HyperV role, ontop of the Essentials code, basically. Completely not supported.... but hey... :)

Dave    268
Dave

Shouldn't they have waited two more days?

10 - 11 - 12

Downloading now....

Jason    54
Jason

If you "upgrade" to Standard, you *can* instally the HyperV role, ontop of the Essentials code, basically. Completely not supported.... but hey... :)

Drashna, wow - that's possible!? So does that mean that WSUS are also enabled? How long until MS disables this? Afterall, it's like paying the $400 WS2012E price tag and getting WS2012 Standard?

Drashna Jaelre    149
Drashna Jaelre

Well, officially, you'd need both licenses, and 25 User CALs to do it... Like I said, unsupported.

As for WSUS... I think i saw mention of WSUS working on essentials, but that could just be wishful thinking.