RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't get rid of "free space low on hard drive" alert

eagle63

Hey guys, I have an HTPC running win7 that is my media center box. It backs up nightly to my WHS2011 machine. My HTPC has 2 hard drives: a "c" drive which is for the OS and applications, and a "d" drive which is purely for recorded TV. The trouble is, WHS keeps alerting me that the D drive is low on free space. (less than 10% free seems to be the threshold at which it complains) I've clicked the "ignore this alert" many times, but eventually it always comes back. I think this is because as the free space on the drive fluctuates due to new recordings getting added and old recordings getting purged, it frequently hits that 10% threshold again and WHS re-alerts me that it's low.

This is not a huge deal certainly, but it's annoying because I hate seeing the yellow warning in my alerts unless it's something legit. Is there any way to permanently make WHS stop complaining about that specific drive?

OK, somebody has to say it (ROTFLMAO) :D...... wait for it...... install a bigger drive!!! TaDa!!!

You sir are the winner!! Ah if only it were that easy. ;)

Thank you, thank you. I am #1, I am #1... oh wait, ahem..... excuse me.... embarrassing :wacko:

Just curious, why wouldn't it be that easy? You could replace your D: drive with a bigger one or, assuming you have room, you could add a 3rd drive and stripe it with the exising 2nd drive.

The reason it's not that easy is because it's a DVR. Again, the D drive on my HTPC is for recorded tv - and DVR's by definition should have a full hard drive. So even if I throw a 2TB hard drive in there, it's still going to fill up - it will just take a little longer.

I'm fine with WHS monitoring the C drive on my HTPC because that drive shouldn't fill up (and it it does I want to know about it), but the recordings drive really shouldn't even be monitored ideally.

Edited by eagle63

I'm a little puzzled by the "DVR's by definition should have a full hard drive" statement. Why? We have a PVR from our cable company. It only has a 360GB drive. It never gets full because we erase shows after we've watched them. Are you perhaps using the "keep until space is needed" option for recorded shows?

Are you perhaps using the "keep until space is needed" option for recorded shows?

Why in the world would you delete things manually?? That's the whole beauty of a DVR! :) But yes, that's exactly what I do. I've had this argument before... My brother (who is also quite technical) has a Tivo and I've seen him manually delete shows many times when I've been over at his house. I always ask him why he deletes recordings, and his answer is because it goes against his IT "instinct" to let a drive fill up. I totally get that feeling, but at some point you have to let go and trust the DVR. :)

All kidding aside, I'm guessing there probably isn't a way to completely surpress this warning. But I did just think of an idea... I believe windows media center will let you set a limit on how much of the drive it can consume with recordings. At the downside of losing perfectly usable drive space, I could adjust that slider so that it will always stay just under 90% full... Hmm, probably a silly solution but I do like seeing the green "everything's ok" health button on my WHS dashboard.

Edited by eagle63

on my SBS2011E box, I'm using Stablebit drivepool $20 or so ( will also work on WHS2011). I don't use it for duplication but rather for having 1 large drive pool.