RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 2012 Storage Server or Foundation

Petev

Has anyone tried the Foundation or Storage Server version of Windows Server 2012? I have a few year old Intel 4200 server running WHS 2011, I need to rebuild the RAID array so debating if I should upgrade....... Hardware wise were talking an Intel Dual Core x64 CPU w/2GB of RAM (max is 2GB) so I'm a bit skeptical about loading too much on it. WHS 2011 performs quite well on the server today, running 2TB RAID 5, SQL Server and a WebSite PhotoAlbum. I won't be bothering to re-install SQL Server and the photoAlbum. I only want it for a NAS and "might" choose to use as a Media server, I don't need a Domain hence don't need full Server 2012, I'm used to windows so prefer windows vs. moving to a Linux based OS. My biggest concern is available RAM - I believe I meet the minimum requirements. I can get Storage Server or Foundation off of TechNet so that really isn't a problem. Figured Foundation server by default loads less services etc. so I don't have to bother rooting around disabling everything I can to save RAM, overhead etc.. Thoughts??? Potential issues/limitations

I’m running Server 2012 Storage Server Standard on my N40L MicroServer “Ranger” and like it so far. The Standard version has Data Deduplication as well as Virtulization (Hyper-V) support (though with 2 GB RAM you’re not going to get far with that). I’ve messed with creating Shares and have a mirrored (RAID1) on it. I’m using a SSD for my OS, a ST3000DM001 as my drive for my Hyper-V clients, and two ST3000DM001’s in RAID1 with a few hundred G’s of data that I’ve been banging around.

See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj643303.aspx

Joe Miner sounds like a nice setup. Sounds similar in capability to mine save mine is completely headless (have to temp install a video card for install) and I'm limited to 2GB. I Yes I'm sure I would end up installing the full version of Storage Server vs. foundation.