RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recover from “Lost” HDD in pool

pluggedinpc

Hi all,

I’m working on my parents v1 home server with 4x 1.5TB HDDs in the pool. Recently my Dad has been getting write delay failed messages and has had strange issues with accessing and saving to the server.

He found that the log files on the OS drive were getting to ridiculous file sizes (too big to open) and filling up the OS drive. He also noticed that one of the four drives was no longer appearing in the pool. Obviously it sounds like on of the drives was failing and should just be replaced but the drive might have stopped working by losing the SATA connection after it was opened and cleaned. The connections were checked and the 4th drive has reappeared and shows a “healthy” status.

Now the issue is that whenever he tries to access any of the shares, the folder takes minutes just to open and files such as photos won’t show previews and appears to time out. Even when you RDP into the server and access the folders directly, it has the same symptoms. There are quite a few folders that were enabled for duplication but all of the shares have this problem.

So this is a long-winded way of asking whether there is anything special that needs to be done to reintroduce a HDD that dropped out of the pool?

Is it worth connecting the drives individually to another system to recover the data?

Did you "add" the "new" drive to the pool?

Slow response may be due to data migration to compensate for the previously missing drive.

Did you "add" the "new" drive to the pool?

Slow response may be due to data migration to compensate for the previously missing drive.

When it was reconnected, it was already part of the pool so it didn't have to be added again. I thought it might be syncing again with the data that was on that drive and that would cause the latency issue but it seems more like there might have been data corruption?

Edited by pluggedinpc

If all drives are listed as Healthy there shouldn't be any data corruption. How much free space is on the system drive C: and the data drive D:? I highly recommend installing StableBit Scanner and letting it scan all of your hard drives.

Edited by Technogod

When it was reconnected, it was already part of the pool so it didn't have to be added again. I thought it might be syncing again with the data that was on that drive and that would cause the latency issue but it seems more like there might have been data corruption?

Ok, even if the reconnected drive was part of the original pool it would still have data on it that was mismatched with the balance of the pool which continued to operate as if that missing drive was gone from the pool.

You reconnect and the pool would be rebuilding itself which may explain latency issues.

Is there constant HDD activity going on?

If not I would follow Technogod's recommendation or at least run chkdisk on each drive in the server to see if that throws up any issues.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Okay so I've found out one of the HDDs failed. It would boot up saying it was healthy, I'd have trouble accessing folders and then it would drop off.

I had all my vital data duplicated but I have lost a few movies and TV shows.

Some of the folders that were duplicated I'm stil having trouble acessoing data. Do I have ot remove the faulty drive from the pool before it resyncs itself?

Normally you would want to use the Remove Drive feature to disconnect the faulty drive from the pool. However, I've seen instances where this was very difficult to do; it would either take an enormous length of time, or fail completely.

The most important thing, I feel, at this point is to ensure you've got everything backed up as much as possible.

Another thing you can try, if you're prepared to leave the server shut down for a day of two, is to get a copy of SpinRite and run it against the faulty drive. But, I would do this after running CHKDSK on the drive, in case it's just a file system issue. That seems somewhat unlikely at this point, but you never know.

In the end, you should be prepared for the situation where you have to completely rebuild the Data Pool and copy all the data back to it from a backup.

Normally you would want to use the Remove Drive feature to disconnect the faulty drive from the pool. However, I've seen instances where this was very difficult to do; it would either take an enormous length of time, or fail completely.

The most important thing, I feel, at this point is to ensure you've got everything backed up as much as possible.

Another thing you can try, if you're prepared to leave the server shut down for a day of two, is to get a copy of SpinRite and run it against the faulty drive. But, I would do this after running CHKDSK on the drive, in case it's just a file system issue. That seems somewhat unlikely at this point, but you never know.

In the end, you should be prepared for the situation where you have to completely rebuild the Data Pool and copy all the data back to it from a backup.

Thanks for the advice Ikon.

That's what I'm doing now - I'm using a live boot Disc to copy the data to an external drive. Of course my concern is the other 1.5TB drives could fail as they were purchased all at the same time.

I've removed the faulty drive and connected it to another system and used "GetDataBack" to access the drive. Sadly it looks like the drive is faulty.

I'm already preparing to rebuild the pool but I'm thinking I might take this opporutunity to migrate over to 2011 and build a new box.

Unfortunately there is no other backup so any data thats lost is gone forever but luckily the only folders that weren't set for duplication are movies I can re-rip.

The whole situation is a pain but it my fault for not enforcing a better backup proceedure. This time around I'm making sure they have a backup!

Thanks everyone for all your help, its good be part of a community :D