RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Graphics card replacement

craig2432

Hi there

Our family's HTPC is built on an old asus M3N WS motherboard. Fitted with a AMD Phenon 4x 9850 black edition CPU. With an extra raid card for the 4 x 2TB hard drives in raid five for our DVD collection, played back via Windows Media Centre and managed by My Movies.

The system has worked really well for the last 4 years or so. We started to get stuttering on ALL sound. Even the inbuilt windows sounds, so that rules out any codec issues.

The graphics card in the machine is Nvidia GeForce 8200 and I an just wondering if its that, that is letting the side down and if so what low cost solution are there, in the £50-£60 or $90-$100 region

Oh, I have also just done a full reinstall after installing my first SSD, wow what a difference.this did not help the sound issue though.

Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciate.

My question is similar to pc-doc's: what are the sound cables plugged into? From your description it sounds as though they're plugged into the GPU, but I would like to be sure before responding.

Sorry I should have said, the sound and picture is fed from the HDMI output on the graphics card.

I have tried a brand new HDMI cable and the fault is still there.

I'll try the on board graphics card and see where I go from there.

Thanks for the help, why didn't I think of that.

Yes, if the sound is not working through HDMI I would try it through the onboard. I would test out the Windows Sounds first and then, if that works, a couple of MP3 files.

Very strange.

I have removed the pci graphics card and just tried the onboard card. Still the same issue. Even on windows own sounds!

I have also checked the motherboard / sound drivers and they all seem ok.

It's got to be something simple, or is this my excuse to upgrade?

Guest no-control

well at this point its either your audio gear or the PC. So either test a different PC on the same gear. Option 2 is to clean install the OS, or rollback to a previous date before the issue cropped up. Option 3 replace the mainboard or upgrade the PC.