RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrade WHS 2011 To SSD Questions

CablDeViL

I want to upgrade my WHS2011's OS drive that is an icy dock in mirror. With the lap top drives it's just to slow. So I purchased a 240 SSD. My Question is with Acronic True Image 2013 w/+Pack will I have a problem with the clone because of the mirror?

I have not experimented with this on my test servers but I would like to know anyone who has accomplished this already.

Thanks

Bill

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• ikon

Too slow? Is the data on the same drive(s) as the OS?

Switching to an SSD is going to get you a faster boot, not a faster read time from the data drive(s)

To a point I would agree but the content is still coming from the data drives. SQL is only holding the data about the file, not the file itself, AFAIK.

Guest no-control

yeah since my movies just holds sql db info I don't see the gain. Its not like your hammering the drive doing queries. OS related stuff will be snappy but any actual data access is still going to be dog slow. You would be better off with a smaller SSD as a cache.

BUT if you still want to try it out you shouldn't have an issue as the OS is agnostic to a hardware mirror(RAID). Where it may puke is if you have a partition/volume over 240GB. you'll need to shrink it down before you image it.

Everybody has kind of alluded to it, but my question is, "Just what is too slow?"

SQL for MyMovies doesn't really cover it either. I'm looking more for things like, "Movies take too long to start up." or "Blu-ray movies stutter.", things like that.

Thanks guys for your input. Movies don't take to long to start they are on my raid. But when I was watching the resource monitor SQL was using a boat load of c drive IO. For a test I disabled SQL for a few hours and everything was fine. I kicked on SQL and then all my resources went through the roof (Mem and disk IO).

So that is my main reason to swap. I would love to do a full upgrade since my server uses 165 - 185 watts after boot. I am not sure if that is above average with all the drives and the cpu I have in (see below).

I started looking hard at my server after one of my extenders started to pause every few minutes but that was a network issue I found later.

I can't help wondering if a typical SSD, while plenty fast enough, might be too small for all the temporary files, event logs, transaction logs, etc. I've seen SQL Server chew up an awful lot of disk space. I don't know the answer; I'm just wondering.

Guest no-control

Fair enough if your seeing it eat up IO, I can't argue against that. :) I wouldn't think mymovies would be accessing that much. I would add in more RAM as well its cheap right now and 16GB for $70 is a nice deal. SSD will help as well.