RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hellosri

Upgrade RocketRaid 2680 to 2720?

hellosri

Can I upgrade a Rocketraid 2680 to a 2720 while preserving my existing 8TB RAID 5 (5x2TB) array & its data?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I wouldn't think so but I haven't tried it. Seems like all the configuration settings would be stored on the 2680 and would be lost? Maybe it is stored on the HDD's though? Sorry I can't help.

jmwills

The config file is stored on the card. Doesn't make sense it would be on a drive / what if that drive failed. I could be wrong but I have never even heard of anyone trying to upgrade a RAID Card in place. You could try this.

Install the new card along with three drives to create the initial array. Then start moving one drive at a time from the old to the new.

Where are the backups? You could restore from those.

pcdoc

Can I upgrade a Rocketraid 2680 to a 2720 while preserving my existing 8TB RAID 5 (5x2TB) array & its data?

Absolutely. I have done it twice already. Uninstall the card, R and R the card, load the new drivers. 5 mins tops and you will be up and running.

jmwills

Seriously? So how is the new card going to know where the config files for the array are?

I would have thought the files were stored on the controller and not on the drives, but I guess not.

ikon

I believe most RAID cards store the config on the drive; it's done when you create the array.

jmwills

And that config file would have to be duplicated across all the drives in order not to drop the array.

ikon

I'm not sure if that's true or not. I also wonder if it varies from maker to maker.

jmwills

The file would have to be on all the drives (not spread out but duplicated). If only on one and you dropped that drive, there goes the array. That's how my redneck mind werks :)

ikon

A valid observation, and insightful for a Redneck ;)