RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Music folder structure can not be browsed from DNLA devices.

Liliacul

I have installed whs 2011 on an HP N40L after the bios flash to the enhanced version.

OS installation finished without any issues. I can browse and see the correct MS native folder structures music, photos, videos, recorded tv from any of my DNLA devices (Denon 3808ci, 2112ci, ace player on my iPad).

The moment I start loading the music shared folder with the music content from my external hdd, music folder can not be browsed anymore from those devices. This is not happening with pictures and videos. Those work just fine. Even if I delete the Music folder content and the folder itself , recreate missing folder, add one song , still it can not be browsed.

Any suggestions are welcome.

One more weird thing. When I browse the video folder ...I see the correct structure...all videos, folders, rating, recorded tv, series etc...if I choose folders ....instead of seeing only my video subfolders I see D: drive , pictures, video .. Folders.

Somehow after copy of my music to the shared folder ..folder "presentation" to DNLA devices gets corrupt somehow.

All the logins by user name and password and access to those folders display in correct form and all plays well.

Utterly confused looking for help.

A couple of things to consider:

Is your music in a format that is playable on your DNLA devices?

Are you sure that you are seeing the server (and not another PC client) from the connected DLNA devices?

Is sharing of the music folder set up?

If the above are ok, you might want to consider loading a plugin such as Serviio Media Server to your WHS which can help "reveal" content to DNLA devices which dont play nicely with WHS.

Do you have Media Server software installed on your microserver? This sounds like the issue I had with my Panasonic Viera and my DVD rips, Serviio is free and worked

on WHS 2011 better than any other media server I tried.

serviio.org

@Renny. You beat me to it by seconds, hope this is the problem.

Do you have the guest mode enable and set permissions for the Music folder ?

Guest enable = no

Permission to the music folders = yes

There are no issues accessing the folders through PC's or streaming devices that have user login.

The issue is only with the sheared folder viewed from DNLA devices that do not have user type login.

I took screenshots what Ipad Aceplayer is "seeing". Drive letters should not show up on the browse.

PS: diehard your directions related to the n40l build helped a lot ... Outstanding job there.

A couple of things to consider:

Is your music in a format that is playable on your DNLA devices? <--- yes all my files are the content of my ex HP ex490 server

Are you sure that you are seeing the server (and not another PC client) from the connected DLNA devices? <-- 100% sure

Is sharing of the music folder set up? <-- yes

If the above are ok, you might want to consider loading a plugin such as Serviio Media Server to your WHS which can help "reveal" content to DNLA devices which dont play nicely with WHS. <-- I have not installed a any 3rd party streaming software ... Still reading up on what is best and stable to use ( my old ex490 had Twonky media)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you have Media Server software installed on your microserver? This sounds like the issue I had with my Panasonic Viera and my DVD rips, Serviio is free and worked

on WHS 2011 better than any other media server I tried.

serviio.org

@Renny. You beat me to it by seconds, hope this is the problem.

Thank you so much for the link. I will look into it. The issue that I'm fighting is stuck like a splinter in my brain... I really need to find the reason why. I know for sure it is induced by the copy of the music files from my backup hdd to the music share. I do not know at this time what is the cork ..the number of files (83000) , inherited permissions from ex490 that are confusing the new server, drm...etc

I doubt the permissions are being copied over since you are going from one machine to another and a non-domain system. The permissions on the destination will take effect as the effective permissions. You will probably see permissions in there with "?" on them and those would be form the old system.

A couple of things struck me:

1. you say any device that has login credentials can see the files just fine, but not the DLNA devices that don't have such credentials. It strikes me that you need the Guest account enabled so that the DLNA devices can also see the files.
  2. The other thing I can think of is to re-apply the file permissions after they've been copied over. We do this at work sometimes when file access issues come up. I would especially recommend this if you do enable the Guest account.