RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bad Drives - Using WindowSmart 2012

ImTheTypeOfGuy

These were not new drives except for the SSD so I fail to see your analogy. 8 years overseas and never lost a drive under 240v current. Come home and bam!

YOu guys must be getting all the bad Seagate drives......mine are rock solid. I've lost a WD, Hitachi, and OCZ SSD since coming home.

These were not new drives except for the SSD so I fail to see your analogy. 8 years overseas and never lost a drive under 240v current. Come home and bam!

Common denominator.....

Power Quality was a common denominator Scott Moulton mentioned as THE big killer of HD's when he was on BYOB. http://myharddrivedied.com/

The drives didn't die until I hit the US and everything was always on a UPS, even in Iraq. I guess it was just my time.

Poor power would certainly be at the top of the list especially from frequent power off's and on's. I can remember one time over there where we had some sort of issue with the generators and my laptop brick fried and I mean burnt to a crisp.

No, backflow from a Caterpillar generator.

Not many Patriot batteries in Iraq, or at least from what I saw. Now on the other hand, those CRAM systems were everywhere.

OK, I've only seen those units onboard navy vessels before.They were originally developed for ship-board anit-missle defence. So they've been adapted for land use as well... interesting.... makes sense I guess. It's also kinda funny that they've kept the standard ship-board white colour. I would have thought they would paint them in camo... maybe they were rushed into service and didn't have time.

As for the 'backflow'; that brings to mind all kinds of nasty mental images of fuzzy, constipated insects :P

What you see is the ammo container in white. The mini gun is still grey and if memory serves me correctly those guns have a rate of fire of about 4k rounds / minute.

Yep, the ones onboard also had grey/black barrels. The very first ones didn't even fire 'rounds' per se; they fired a kind of shrapnel. That changed pretty quickly. It's quite a site site to see them being reloaded. And 4K/min is correct.