RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bad Drives - Using WindowSmart 2012

ImTheTypeOfGuy

YOu guys must be getting all the bad Seagate drives......mine are rock solid. I've lost a WD, Hitachi, and OCZ SSD since coming home.

Guest no-control

YOu guys must be getting all the bad Seagate drives......mine are rock solid. I've lost a WD, Hitachi, and OCZ SSD since coming home.

And the common denominator there?

And the common denominator there?

LMAO! An excellent point my friend, an excellent point indeed! :D

Ha! WD fanboy tomfoolery! (Actually my 1st choice, too, but I own some Seagates.)

OK... who's going to be the first to mention Spinrite? Lol

I do have some 'S' drives too, but they were given to me for free :)

Guess what replaced it, another Seagate. WD sucks. That is 3.5 years running 24x7. I think that is go0d. I pulled the drive out of a NAS about three years ago. The NAS was on the top shelf in my wifes' closet and it fell (about 7.5') and quit working. So I took the drives out and put them in my WHS.

Can't disagree about the 7.5' drop. That's enough to kill almost any drive.

I'm not really impressed with the 3.5 years, 24x7 though. Most of my drives run at least twice that long. They do get SpinRited at least once a year though. The vast majority of my drives get taken out of service because they are obsolete: they're too small, too slow, or they're IDE. It's almost never because they die :)

I use WD drives whenever possible except, like you, I now try to avoid Green drives. I have a number of RE2 and RE4 enterprise-class drives that have been running flawlessly for ages. For NAS-type situations, in future, I think I'm going to use WD Reds.