RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and Windows 8 Live ID's

scottbakertemp

Has anyone figured out a work around to the 20 character user name limit in WHS 2011? My Windows Live ID is 28 characters - so I can't access my 2011 shares from Windows 8.

thanks,

-Scott :(

Edited by scottbakertemp

Could you grab an alias from Outlook.com? Shorter email address?

Unless someone comes up with a better solution I'll do that. I guess I can move my xbox account over to the shorter email address.

Has anyone figured out a work around to the 20 character user name limit in WHS 2011? My Windows Live ID is 28 characters - so I can't access my 2011 shares from Windows 8.

thanks,

-Scott :(

Personally, I've never understood the limit anyway. If they would just use hashes of the user names it would make things so much simpler.

if your adding your credentials to "Windows Credentials", using your old username,password, check that "Persistence" is set to "Enterprise" so it won't be forgotten.

• Like 1

if your adding your credentials to "Windows Credentials", using your old username,password, check that "Persistence" is set to "Enterprise" so it won't be forgotten.

That did it! :D Adding my old windows 7 credentials to the Credentials Manager gave me the necessary access to all my 2011 shares. It required a reboot in Windows 8 64 bit.