RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

windows 8 single logins and server 2012 essentials

flyboyco

So I have read several forums and see lots of opinions and options, but have not had the energy to sort this out. I want to figure out a way to setup all our family's computers with Win 8 and connect to our family domain on S2012E.

We have several computers, laptops, etc that we want to put win 8 on. We are going to use the domain as established with S2012E, but also use the windows live accounts. My wife will be using a laptop for travel, a desktop, and our main computer at home (with her login) and wants the start screens and all documents to sync between three computers (Google Docs, Dropbox, SkyDrive are easy, but possibly sharing our "My Documents" folder). At least one computer will be a desktop at another location, so we will probably set it up with VPN for backup and shared files (which is pretty much automatic, I believe). The laptop can be on VPN or will be home frequently to backup or synchronize.

I want to try to set this up with each user being set up as an administrator on their computer so they can freely add and modify programs at their free will, and have this connect with their Live account. I don't want to have to deal with multiple accounts on each machine.

From what I have seen, it seems that I have to set up the computer with a single user, connect it with the server, using a different name (so there isn't 2 names that look the same), and then try to bring in the first account with windows easy transfer, but It seems like there is still leftover drama from the other account.

I know some of these things are hereditary issues with Domain Manager, but I am trying to keep this as simple as possible.

I hope all this makes sense. Hopefully I am not the only one who wants this.

Can wait to hear solutions.

-keith

Wow, you are ambitious. I'm glad you "Can wait to hear solutions." :D

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I am very interested in what people have to say about this, as I'm about to set up my first test WS2012e box, maybe even starting today. Please keep up posted on your progress.

You can change the "internet" account to a local account very easily and then follow the thread that No-Control posted. All of this should work.

Guest no-control

So you're looking use business grade software. To have business grade functionality. With no IT support and no knowledge of how each of the features you want to use (and interoperate). Who is going to administrate this when something inevitably goes FUBAR?

Sorry if that sounds rude or harsh, but that's how I read it. Now for some help.

So I have read several forums and see lots of opinions and options, but have not had the energy to sort this out. I want to figure out a way to setup all our family's computers with Win 8 and connect to our family domain on S2012E.

First stop reading forums. Read/watch tutorials on how to implement and administrate the following. Active Directory Users and Computers, Shares and permissions, ACL, RRAS (VPN access).

We have several computers, laptops, etc that we want to put win 8 on. We are going to use the domain as established with S2012E, but also use the windows live accounts. My wife will be using a laptop for travel, a desktop, and our main computer at home (with her login) and wants the start screens and all documents to sync between three computers (Google Docs, Dropbox, SkyDrive are easy, but possibly sharing our "My Documents" folder). At least one computer will be a desktop at another location, so we will probably set it up with VPN for backup and shared files (which is pretty much automatic, I believe). The laptop can be on VPN or will be home frequently to backup or synchronize.

I want to try to set this up with each user being set up as an administrator on their computer so they can freely add and modify programs at their free will, and have this connect with their Live account. I don't want to have to deal with multiple accounts on each machine.

From this I get you...

1. Have multiple clients and want to use WS2012e with an Active Directory Domain.
  2. Would want to associate the user Microsoft ID with the users Domain credentials.
  3. Want the user folder to roam with the domain profile.
  4. Remote PCs will need to logon to the domain to access shares and backup.
  5. You want each user on the domain to be a local administrator

Is this correct?

Answers:

1. Set up your server first, then install 8 on your clients. Create users in ADUC on the server. Add PCs to domain when installing windows 8 on them. There is an option to add to a PC to the domain during setup.
  2. After you logon to the domain there is an option to connect your domain account to you microsoft Live ID.
  3. WS2012e makes this easy just go into the user properties in the dashboard and select the check boxes for the folder you want to redirect to the server.
  4. You will need to use RRAS to create a VPN access. Once that is done, go into the users accounts properties click on the remote tab and check the allow access box. You will also need to make sure your remote users group has access permission for those particular shares. You will need to have the remote PC to have physical access when you join it to the domain for the first time. So where ever its at now you need to bring home.
  5. This is a security hole and will create issues down the road, porbably with a driver or windows update conflict. I would use AD to simply allow the user accounts the ability to install software. Less secure but easier would be to add the user account to the domain power users group. Just as easy but waaaay less secure is to add the user accounts to the local administrator group.

From what I have seen, it seems that I have to set up the computer with a single user, connect it with the server, using a different name (so there isn't 2 names that look the same), and then try to bring in the first account with windows easy transfer, but It seems like there is still leftover drama from the other account.

No Idea what you are talking about here. Process makes no sense. When you install windows it will ask you to join this PC to a domain. click yes enter doamin info supply Domain Admin credentials and it will automatically add the PC to the domain. No users are "setup" They all exist on the domain. Not locally. Once its joined to the domain you can have a user logon and it will populate user settings, desktop, shares, etc...from the domain. No need for multiple local accounts, easy transfer or drama.

I know some of these things are hereditary issues with Domain Manager, but I am trying to keep this as simple as possible.

:huh: No idea what these issues are...please explain

I hope all this makes sense. Hopefully I am not the only one who wants this.

Can wait to hear solutions.

Sort of made sense, pretty sure you're the only one, and I'll try! =)

Edited by no-control

• 3 weeks later...

After you logon to the domain there is an option to connect your domain account to you microsoft Live ID.

Mike, would you please elaborate, I don't seem to see this anywhere . Thanks

I'm new to this forum, hence unsure if it's ethical to share a reference link to support the trending topic. Though, would request the mods here to kindly remove this reply if it violates any of the forum policies.

Well, @HSS Star , I'd suggest you to refer the following article, I think it helps you with the problem : winsupersite.com/article/windowsserver2012/windows-server-2012-essentials-client-experience-144374

Welcome WHUK_Barb. I certainly have no problem with you posting a link like that. I would suggest you use the link tool available in the tool bar so that your link will be clickable.

PS: what I personally object to is people who are affiliated with a product posting links or info about that product without declaring their affiliation. I think it's a form of deception.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome WHUK_Barb. I certainly have no problem with you posting a link like that. I would suggest you use the link tool available in the tool bar so that your link will be clickable.

PS: what I personally object to is people who are affiliated with a product posting links or info about that product without declaring their affiliation. I think it's a form of deception.

Thanks for the warm welcome @ikon. I was about to link the text using the tool but then thought that probably because my post count is low it either wouldn't allow me and if allowed if might not fit into the forum usage rules. But now I know, thanks for the insight.