RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I set my RocketRAID for staggered spin-up?

bondisdead

I was wondering what folks do that have alot of hard-drives in their systems, w.r.t. staggered spin-up? There is a BIOS feature in my Highpoint RocketRAID 2720 to enable this for individual drives. Does not seem to be in option in the Web GUI. I have eight drives attached to the 2720, and five drives attached to my motherboard. While I have a Corsair TX 650 PSU, I don't believe I have any power-on issues due to the drives spinning up at the same time. However, I was thinking that it would put less stress on the PSU if I were to enable the delayed spin-up. What do other folks do?

My only concern about it is that I read a few posts on various sites about people "bricking" there WD drives once spin-up delay was enabled. Evidently, the drive would no longer work when connected to something other than the original RAID card. So I'm a bit hesitant...

Oh, I have five 2TB Hitachi green and two 2TB Seagate green drives on the RR 2720 in a RAID5.

Have not heard of that but then again I never use the staggered spin up. Unless you have a very weak power supply I would not do it. I have had as many as 12 drives in my server with no issues on a 600 watt supply. System boot hits about 190 watts at start up then it settled down. With 5 drives, I would not bother. Just my two cents.

With power supplies being so cheap, or relatively cheap, when in doubt to stagger or not based on a perceived power issue, get an adequate PSU and protect your data.

Also staggered spin up needs either a backplane to work or you need to mod each SATA power connector to enable it (unless you have one of the few drives on the market that as a jumper for it).

Thanks for the input, guys. You have convinced me! I think my Corsair HX-650 should do me fine without adding any more wrinkles.