RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Where to put Storage Space, Host or Guest.

edamiga1

I am about to upgrade my server to server 2012 and wanted to get thoughts on where I should put my storage spaces. I currently have two raids that use 4 drives that are passed through and are managed in the Guest VM on Windows 2008 R2 and that has worked fine.

I will ugrade the server first and just move the guests over, so keeping the Mirror running in the guest vm of WHS 2011.

What I need to decide is when I create the WHS 2012 instance and then move the content over does it make sense to basically keep the drives passed through and create the storage pool in the guest. If not should I create the pool on the host and then pass the pool drive through.

Looking for experience in this area and pros/cons on approach.

Thanks.

Guest no-control

What is this WHS2012 you speak of?

What are planning on using the storage for? If its all for file serving to be used bythe guest, then attach to guest. If not then it goes on the host to be carved up as you like.

I meant to say WSE 2012. I plan to upgrade to this at some point this year. All of the storage will be with the guest so I will use the storage pool in WSE and not at the host..

If you can create the pool with the host and pass it through to the guest, I would go that way. That's one less level of transfer to deal with.

Guest no-control

If you can create the pool with the host and pass it through to the guest, I would go that way. That's one less level of transfer to deal with.

Isn't that backwards? If he passes the HDDs through then they are connected directly to the guest. (Hardware->Hypervisor->Guest VM) If he creates a pool its attached to the host. Then whatever allocates to the guest is associated. (Hardware->Hypervisor->Host->Storage Pool->Guest VM)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the recommendation is to build the SS in the Guest, WHS 2012 or Windows 8. I think this provides me the best performance, especially given that I do not intend to share a SS across VMs.