RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SW vs HW RAID?

jdomm95

I am migrating from a MediaSmart server to an N40L. I like the feature in the MS in which I can remove a drive and it moves the files off of the drive. As drives get bigger, I may want to replace them without having to trash my volume. Does anyone know of an article detailing the benefits of each? Or your opinions?

Thanks

Ups, wrong answer, above was for driv extender.

Below some results for the comparison between hardware and software raid, where I would always prefer the hardware raid, but only with a "real" RAID controller, mostly nothing below 200 USD...

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&as_q=software+versus+hardware+raid&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=lang_en&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I must admit I didnt read all the forums rules yet, so hope crossposting is allowed, below a link to a related discussion

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/15013-hardware-raid-vs-whs-storage-pool/

Regards

OK, first things first, are you proposing to stick with WHS V1 in your move to the N40L or are you going to move to WHS 2011?

If you are staying with WHS just add a bigger drive to the pool, its as easy as that. Drive Extender (DE) does not take data off a drive, it merely ensures that all data is on at least 2 disks. So if, for example, you remove a disk from a 3 disk pool all your data will be retained on the remaining two drives.

If you intend to move to WHS 2011 you need to consider a RAID configuration to ensure there is some redundancy in your home storage but please note the two technologies (DE and RAID) are not compatible. It's either one or the other as you ponder your migration to the new hardware.

OK, first things first, are you proposing to stick with WHS V1 in your move to the N40L or are you going to move to WHS 2011?

If you are staying with WHS just add a bigger drive to the pool, its as easy as that. Drive Extender (DE) does not take data off a drive, it merely ensures that all data is on at least 2 disks. So if, for example, you remove a disk from a 3 disk pool all your data will be retained on the remaining two drives.

If you intend to move to WHS 2011 you need to consider a RAID configuration to ensure there is some redundancy in your home storage but please note the two technologies (DE and RAID) are not compatible. It's either one or the other as you ponder your migration to the new hardware.

To claify a bit:

1. Drive Extender will only keep data on 2 drives if the folder where the data is stored has Replication enabled; otherwise, the data is only on 1 drive. If you want to remove a drive, you do have to go through the Remove Drive process, during which DE will relocate all the data from the drive to be removed, to the other drives in the pool. This can be a lengthy process if the drives contatins a lot of data.
  2. RAID and DE are different technologies, but they're not really incompatible. You could, for example, add a RAID array to a DE Drive Pool. DE will just see the array as a single drive. Of course, you would not be able to remove a drive from the array by using DE (since it's only aware of the array as a single drive). However, you could add multiple RAID arrays to the Drive Pool and remove 1 of them later. I'm not saying this is a recommended configuration, but it's do-able, and 1 member is doing something very similar using either Drive Bender or Stablebit DrivePool. His initial performance test results were very impressive.

You could look at one of the Drive Extender replacements such as Drive Bender which will work under WHS 2011.

+1. RAID is great, but not if you want something simple with minimal setup fuss. (I'm making some assumptions here, but based on what the OP has posted I think that's what he wants) Go with Drive Bender or StableBit's Drive Pool. Both are add-in's that attempt to do what Drive Extender did on WHSv1. I personally use Drive Pool and have nothing but good things to say about it. It's only $20, is simpler than messing with RAID, and it works.

I have two boxes running RAID, one with MOBO RAID and one with a RR 2720 card along with another running DriveBender. All three are rock solid.