RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ikon

Restore WHS2011 OS backup on headless server?

ikon

I have WHS2011 installed on an Acer H340 headless box (i.e. it has no KB, mouse, or monitor support). If I install a drive into a spare drive bay slot in the H340, and dedicate it to backing up only the System Partition, how can I go about Restoring it if needed?

I realise I can mod the H340 to have KB, mouse, & monitor support, but let's just pretend I don't want to spend that amount of time, money, or effort on a 4-5 year old box.

I gather the backup is in VHD format (someone correct me if this is wrong). Can I, for example, take the backup drive to another computer that has KB, mouse, and video and use it to Restore the VHD to a spare drive? Can I just replace the System Drive with the Backup Drive and expect it to work (doubtful)? What are my options?

Renny

Just one post away ikon, just one post.

jmwills

You must have been at 4999 posts.

jmwills

You were.

To answer your question, there are actually 2 vhd files within that drive and about 20 or so XML files noting the changes for each backup run.

If you wish to restore from that folder you need to do a repair installation (I believe this is correct) and point to the folder with the VHS files The program will scan for the files so you may not have to point anywhere.

ikon

Sounds like it's getting a bit complicated. Maybe just Mirroring the OS drive is simpler.

I just did it a couple of hours ago. Interestingly, it would NOT let me Mirror the whole drive - I had to do it volume by volume. Also, while it would let me Mirror the Reserved 100MB and 60GB OS partitions, it woutd NOT let me Mirror the empty D: partition. The 2 drives are identical: WD 1TB EARS.