RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Show Topic Suggestions

jsox

I started a new thread for you under the Home Server Show Podcast topic to post your ideas. You could also use the personal messenger function in the forums to contact HSS-Dave, JCollison or Diehard directly.

Or, there is always the contact page on the Home Server Show blog http://homeservershow.com/contact

Since WHS has kind of lost it's way it would be great to hear even more about products like Synology, Drobo, the new WD products, Apple Time Machine (gasp) etc.

Since WHS has kind of lost it's way it would be great to hear even more about products like Synology, Drobo, the new WD products, Apple Time Machine (gasp) etc.

And especially how they work at high altitudes like, oh, I don't know, say Colorado, right?? :D

I'm still running V1, with five 1.5TB drives (3 in drive pool, 2 as standalone drives for internal backup). It does what I need it to so why switch. I figured I'd skip one version and then upgrade but that appears to be out of the cards. I'd like to hear a discussion of how close you can get to core WHS functionality on a Synology and a Drobo as network devices (not as storage adjuncts to a server) and minimum additional software or hardware. And what gaps remain.

As to "core WHS functionality" for me that means:

Automatic PC backups that are single file or bare-metal restorable on need

Single instance store for all content to help reduce storage needs

Shared folders with account access control

Personal folders with account access control

Ability to access shared video by a Popcorn Hour

Ability to run Crashplan for cloud backup

I'd really like to hear this discussed at the Indy meet-up as I plan to attend (have already RSVP'd)

Other Indy requests:

See both a Synology and Drobo each with 4 or more drives.

Hear a discussion / comparison of features between Synology and Drobo and much cheaper offerings like WD MyBook.