RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
randop

Commercial NAS software?

randop

Looking to replace my FreeNAS 8 with something else, I am could buy, would like to have something commercial like Synology DSM . Is there any modern, robust commercial NAS ( and not WHS)?

Nnyan

To get something like DSM you have to buy their boxes (Synology or QNAP).  Depending on your needs/use/etc... you could try NASFree (fork of FreeNAS) which I actually liked better then FreeNAS.  I also recommend Napp-it although not anywhere near as polished as DSM or even FreeNAS, but it's easy to use and just works.

ikon

Like I said in the other thread, WHS2011. I know the original poster said "not WHS" but, honestly, that just sounded like anti-MS prejudice. I mean, why not WHS2011? It works.

pcdoc

To get something like DSM you have to buy their boxes (Synology or QNAP).  Depending on your needs/use/etc... you could try NASFree (fork of FreeNAS) which I actually liked better then FreeNAS.  I also recommend Napp-it although not anywhere near as polished as DSM or even FreeNAS, but it's easy to use and just works.

Not questioning your motivations but more of a curiosity question as WHS is the only bare metal backup solution out there, but what is it that you do not like about WHS that you are ruling it out?

Nnyan

Not questioning your motivations but more of a curiosity question as WHS is the only bare metal backup solution out there, but what is it that you do not like about WHS that you are ruling it out?

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, I wasn't ruling anything out, but here goes:   the OP specifically asked for a replacement for his FreeNAS box that was not WHS.  He did not mention needing bare metal recovery so I offered what knowledge I had.  While I like WHS 2011 there are plenty of reasons why someone may not want to use it.  

For myself (EX) I have one WHS 2011 box, a storage server 2012 box, WS2K12 essentials, a ZFS box and an Unraid test box.  The ZFS box was deployed primarily so that my wife could store her dissertation documents, family pics etc.. and I don't have to worry about data rot, etc...  If WHS 2011 had a feature like ZFS checksums I would have just used WHS since I can manage a windows box better then a linux one (since for her use performance wasn't a big deal).  But for regular backup of our PC's I still use WHS 2011.

Edited by Nnyan