RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Collector for WHS home builds?

pedropete3

Hi - I am new on this forum but have been listening to the pod cast for a couple of months. I originally had a LX 195 for a little while, but sent it back since it wasn't working for me. But one thing I did like was the media collection functionality, which I believe is only available for HP WHSs.
I have just finished a WHS home build, and was wondering if there were any add-ins that offer the media collector functionality?

Thanks,
Pete

Welcome to the forums 8)
I never personally found the connector to be that useful, so I don't know of any add-ins that duplicate the functionality. I think something like Twonky might thought.

pedropete3, maybe you could define exactly how you where using it and what you are trying to accomplish.

I did like that it would search for new pictures and back them up to a pictures folder on WHS. It was helpful when my wife would save pictures to her laptop. In the past these pictures would be "lost", but with this functionality the pictures would be "found".

If your wife is always saving her pictures to the same general folder like My Pictures, you could use something like SyncToy to automatically transfer anything new to the server.

I do not know of a true add-in that duplicates the functionality of media collector. You could try twonky but that does a whole lot more than media collector. It also has a fee and rumored to be a bit buggy. Personally I agree with cskenney and use a sync program either synctoy or always sync.