RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 backup question

2percenter

Hello, as a whs user i had to make use of the restore function more than once.

I was always happy once i had to restore whole drives, but a whilw ago i had to restore my itunes folder with thousands of small files.

Restore failed with 2011 more then once and I have seen that this seems to be a known problem.

Has anybody tested the restore with 2012 yet, does it work with lets say 10000 small files ?

What about speed, 2011 was terrible slow.

Regards

My solution to data files is to use RoboCopy to copy them to a share on the server. This completely avoids any restore issues and has the advantage that the files are stored on the server in a readily accessible format. For example, it's possible to play the audio files from any computer that can access the server. Every night a Scheduled Task on my main desktop runs RoboCopy. It copies all the data on my local drive to the server. It's simple to set up and pretty much bullet proof.

Im a fan of robocopy to do things like that since years, the only item to remember is not to use the mirror function, as this wil wipe your backup if anything happened to the original, seems i will increase the shadow copy limit and will do something like that. Has the new storage server any features which might be useful ?