RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Whs 2011 backup question

2percenter

Hi , im running WHS2011 as a virtual machine.

I have no sata ports left for the adding a dedicated backup disk for the server and o dont like adding the server backup to the same physical box.

As i have seen it should be possible to backup to an iscsi target on another server, but it seems that the iscsi location wouldnt be recognised in case i need to restore the server from there as zhe boot disc doesnt have the iscsi drivers.

Anybody knowing a good solution about howto backup the server in a way that the standart backup restore can be used ?

Im aware as well that i can use snapshots for the backup, but would be interested if there is a way to use the built in backup/restore.

Regards

I use a Direct attached storage (or DAS) solution over external SATA (Sans Digital TRMB4) on my WHS 2011 box.

The device comes with a port multiplier card which plugs into any PCI slot so you only need one cable to connect it.

I image there are several USB3 solutions now available too.

Both client and Server backups are maintained on this device and have had no problem with restores simply using a restore disk/thumb drive

An option to consider

Edited by Renny

Nice one, but more looking for a solution enabling me to backup and restore from and to a iscsi target, the only missing link is how do I get the restore cd recognising the iscsi target, if there is such a way.

You could add a eSata card to the host and I believe you would be able to pass thru those drives.

What platform are you running the host on?

Hi, did that already, the host is a supermicro board with 4 slots, one used for a dual nic, one for a sata card to passthrough 2 devices.

It runs on ESXI5 , sata card is not officially supported by ESXi and not recognised as well, but that doesnt ,matter because of passthrough.

I might add another card, but thats only plan B, because the backup will be physically in the same location as the server, Im looking for having the backup automatically on a remote server.

USB would do the trick as well, got some USB ports, but thats too easy ;-)

Remote is currently in the same house, ideally really remote, but i dont thrust those external backup companies, if im storing sensitive data offsite then only files i enrypted personally with truecryp before copying to the cloud.

Edited by 2percenter

Standup another local server with either redundant drives or one of the drive extender type products and use RoboCopy or AllwaySync to run on a scheduled task to copy within the local network.

i have this running as do some others but I have the two boxes located inseparate areas of the house so in case one end caught on fire I could get to the other and hopefully save something.

The third measure is a continuous running backup to CrashPlan from the main server that feeds the local COOP server.

Im currently using robocopy, the only missing 2percent i like to cover that i do need a reinstall if something happens, but looks like that this time i miss 2percent, thanks for the feedback