RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 640 4-port Broken/Issues for Asrock MOBO

esurdam

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my HighPoint RocketRAID 640 4 SATA Port PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller..

Ive tried installing it on both an Asrock H61M/US3S and an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 board.

Both will not POST to the screen, it just hangs at a "No Signal"...

The new Z77 Board has an onboard visual debug and I get a PCI Enumeration Error.

I have had the same problem on both boards. No boot, no nothing...

With drives attached and without....

I've tried it on a much older Dell and it boots into the RAID BiOS fine..

With the two Asrock boards I cant even get into MOBO Bios with the card in.

I've tried hitting the "end" key many times (will try again...)

I cant figure out how to flash the RAID firmware if I cant even get into the Mobo Bios. - I have used the oldest MOBO BIOS to the newest, with no luck. I have tried turning off many BIOS settings (will try USB 3.0 TURBO tonight, though I dont think it will make much of a difference)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Specs:

- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

- Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G620

- G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

- FOUR 3TB Hitachi Drives

- ONE 1TB Hitachi for OS (Ubuntu Server)

I cant figure out how to flash the RAID firmware if I cant even get into the Mobo Bios. - I have used the oldest MOBO BIOS to the newest, with no luck. I have tried turning off many BIOS settings (will try USB 3.0 TURBO tonight, though I dont think it will make much of a difference

So you can or cannot flash the BIOS?

Welcome to the forums....plenty of smart folks around here so I am sure we can find a solution for you

I hate to say it, but you have a major incompatibility issue. Have you contacted Asrock & HighPoint?

Also, how bout flashing the RR BIOS by installing it in the old Dell?

Before calling Asrock or HighPoint, one trick people have used on the RR cards is to flash the BIOS and turn INT13 off during the flashing. This keeps the RR from trying to be the boot device. This, of course, assumes you want to use the RR for RAID only, and not to boot from it.

He's flashing the Asrock BIOS, not the RR.

Indeed you are correct. I can flash BIOS without card for MOBO...

I have contacted both.

With Asrock they have contacted HQ...(escalated)

Highpoint simply says "End" and try on another computer. "End" doesnt work and other computer did.

So, its kind of both faults and neither? :)

So hoping we can find a solution...!!!

I hate to say it, but you have a major incompatibility issue. Have you contacted Asrock & HighPoint?

Also, how bout flashing the RR BIOS by installing it in the old Dell?

Before calling Asrock or HighPoint, one trick people have used on the RR cards is to flash the BIOS and turn INT13 off during the flashing. This keeps the RR from trying to be the boot device. This, of course, assumes you want to use the RR for RAID only, and not to boot from it.

This is a great idea that I will try...

I will be using the RR for just RAID, I will be booting from another drive.

So, essentially, flash the latest BIOS to the RR, turn off INT13, pop it into Asrock and wish for the best?

Also, will I still be able to build the RAID from the BIOS using this method?

Will let you know my results tonight...

Thanks!

My understanding is that, yes, you can still get into the RR BIOS to configure your array(s). Please understand, I do not own a RR card; I am telling you things others have posted in other threads.

Yes, you turn off INT13 during the BIOS flash. It, apparently, is one of the options available.

My understanding is that, yes, you can still get into the RR BIOS to configure your array(s). Please understand, I do not own a RR card; I am telling you things others have posted in other threads.

Yes, you turn off INT13 during the BIOS flash. It, apparently, is one of the options available.

Thanks, will let you know my results. Hoping for the best...

Otherwise, any card you recommend?

I like LSI cards (3ware is what I'm using ATM. 3ware was bought by LSI), but many people here have got RR cards working very well for them. I wouldn't give up yet.

I like LSI cards (3ware is what I'm using ATM. 3ware was bought by LSI), but many people here have got RR cards working very well for them. I wouldn't give up yet.

Thanks for the advice.

I got an updated BIOS from Asrock (unreleased) and will try it out tonight.

Last night I could not find a way to get MSDOS booted AND include the BIOS files.

Am currently trying to use FreeDOS and create a disk/USB stick to boot from (but still trying to figure out how to build it and include the flash)

Will try both out tonight and report back.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the advice.

I got an updated BIOS from Asrock (unreleased) and will try it out tonight.

Last night I could not find a way to get MSDOS booted AND include the BIOS files.

Am currently trying to use FreeDOS and create a disk/USB stick to boot from (but still trying to figure out how to build it and include the flash)

Will try both out tonight and report back.

Thanks again for your help.

I can do it by putting the files in the root dir of the flash drive.. Good to go.. will test later.