RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8 File History feature, what do you think?

tinkererguy

Protecting user files with File History

avatar.jpg?displayname=steven+sinofsky&size=large

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:00 PM
Comments

Here's an excerpt:

Backing up your critical files is something we all know we should do. Even with everything in SkyDrive, it is still something we need to do. With Windows 8, we took a new look at the way backup can work and set out to solve the perennial problem of not just restoring all your files but restoring a previous version of a critical file you have been editing through the course of a day. To achieve this, we're introducing a new feature in Windows 8,
File History.
Bohdan Raciborski, a program manager on the Storage team authored this post.
--Steven

Note: Comments have been off topic. Please maintain community standards and focus on the topic at hand.

I've been trying it with my Windows 8 RTM client, with my Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Essentials server network shares serving as the File History location. And I'm watching over how it performs and behaves. I went with configuring it to use no more than 2% of my available storage space (the lowest % you can choose). Easiest way to find "File History" is Win+W, then type "File History" and then click it in the second column.

Here's some other related articles:

A step back in time with Windows 8's File History

http://arstechnica.c...p?f=2&t=1178151

Protect your data in Windows 8 with the File History tool By Greg Shultz August 9, 2012, 9:12 AM PDT

http://www.techrepub...t;siu-container

Curious about others experiences/thoughts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• jmwills

• ikon

Yes, been using the predecessors for roughly a decade, kind of nice to see a newer approach to helping adoption, perhaps...

Now there’s a lot to like about the Windows 8 File History feature, but it focuses on the user’s personal data. It will only backup data held in the user’s Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favourites. It will completely ignore applications that have their own databases that are stored elsewhere. For some time, Microsoft has been telling developers to store application data in locations contained in the C:\ProgramData folder, and now the File History feature will totally ignore such files. Also, user data that is not document-based is supposed to be held in locations contained in the C:\Users\Username\AppData folder. That is also ignored by the File History feature.

It turns out that Microsoft’s own Windows 8 Mail App stores mail messages in the AppData folder, so File History will not backup your mail messages. Microsoft seems to be assuming that we store our mail in the Cloud, e.g. in their Hotmail service. I’ve got news for them – we don’t all do this.

More here.

Protecting user files with File History

avatar.jpg?displayname=steven+sinofsky&size=large

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:00 PM

Here's an excerpt:

Backing up your critical files is something we all know we should do. Even with everything in SkyDrive, it is still something we need to do. With Windows 8, we took a new look at the way backup can work and set out to solve the perennial problem of not just restoring all your files but restoring a previous version of a critical file you have been editing through the course of a day. To achieve this, we're introducing a new feature in Windows 8,
File History.
Bohdan Raciborski, a program manager on the Storage team authored this post.
--Steven

Note: Comments have been off topic. Please maintain community standards and focus on the topic at hand.

I've been trying it with my Windows 8 RTM client, with my Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Essentials server network shares serving as the File History location. And I'm watching over how it performs and behaves. I went with configuring it to use no more than 2% of my available storage space (the lowest % you can choose). Easiest way to find "File History" is Win+W, then type "File History" and then click it in the second column.

Here's some other related articles:

A step back in time with Windows 8's File History

http://arstechnica.c...p?f=2&t=1178151

Protect your data in Windows 8 with the File History tool By Greg Shultz August 9, 2012, 9:12 AM PDT

http://www.techrepub...t;siu-container

Curious about others experiences/thoughts.

Now there’s a lot to like about the Windows 8 File History feature, but it focuses on the user’s personal data. It will only backup data held in the user’s Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favourites. It will completely ignore applications that have their own databases that are stored elsewhere. For some time, Microsoft has been telling developers to store application data in locations contained in the C:\ProgramData folder, and now the File History feature will totally ignore such files. Also, user data that is not document-based is supposed to be held in locations contained in the C:\Users\Username\AppData folder. That is also ignored by the File History feature.

It turns out that Microsoft’s own Windows 8 Mail App stores mail messages in the AppData folder, so File History will not backup your mail messages. Microsoft seems to be assuming that we store our mail in the Cloud, e.g. in their Hotmail service. I’ve got news for them – we don’t all do this.

More here.

I like that File History is so easy (easier anyway) to find and set-up making it a big step forward towards actually being used but I don't like that to get to a bare metal backup system you need to "hunt" for "Windows 7 File Recovery" -- what's with that? I can already hear what my relatives say when I set that up for them.

There's also a big gap IMHO in a "Server Type" backup feature (I've been hunting but haven't found it -- though it could still be there somewhere) in Win 8 Pro that will back up our Hyper-V clients like what is done in S2008R2 or S2012.

The Windows 7 File Recovery did NOT seem to work all that well when it came time to do an actual restore of Hyper-V Clients for me. $)#(%*^)#)$(@+&$%

Edited by Joe_Miner

More here.

Not to mention that users should be able to store their data where THEY want it. For instance, storing all you data on C: can be a problem for SSD users, who typically don't have that much free space on C:. I, for one, store all my data on an HDD D: drive.