RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boxee Box $109

awraynor

For a few more hours woot has a refurbished Boxee Box for $109.99. This is a great

price if you are interested. If Jeff Bezos hadn't just delivered a new document scanner

today I might have given this a try?

http://tech.woot.com/

Aagh, a comment on the Woot site shows it is even cheaper on the official Boxee site for $99.99:

http://www.dlinkshop...s=1347409691296

If Jeff Bezos hadn't just delivered a new document scanner

today I might have given this a try?

Off topic I know, but I am curious what you are talking about?????

I replaced my BulletScan S300 with a ScanSnap S1300i from Amazon,

Bezos being the CEO of Amazon of course. So buying a new scanner

and a Boxee in the same week would have a low WAF.

The article by Fujitsu lists the complexity of a TWAIN driver as the reason for having a proprietary

driver. I just want it to work with PaperPort. Why do you prefer a TWAIN driver and did you replace

the 1500?

I am having a heck of a time with the S300 and Win8 with PaperPort although the included

PageManager works fine.

No, I haven't replaced the S1500. I'm using the provided ScanManager and ScanOrganizer, but I'm not terribly happy about it (the embedded text search has proven to be problematic). It also will only work with repositories located on a local drive.

AFAIC, the 'complexity' explanation is horsepuckey. TWAIN has been around a long time and is now well proven and debugged. I believe they did it to lock customers into their software.

The advantage of a TWAIN driver is that 90+% of the software out there will work with it.

I'm actually surprised PaperPort will work at all with the ScanSnap line, simply because the driver is proprietary.

I haven't taken the ScanSnap out of the box yet. Guess I better hurry and look at Amazon's return policy. If only unopened is allowed return it and if permitted within so many days hurry up and try it. My S300 would work well if you fiddled with the settings, but it doesn't play well with PaperPort in Win8 and the included software is just too limited, although it does work with 8.