RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

So, did you notice that Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Essentials auto-creates a VPN dialer entry on clients?

tinkererguy

Have you noticed that the new client connector automatically creates a VPN connection for you, making remote PCs see just your server (and no other IPs on your network). Good for remote backups (do the initial one on your local network, subsequent daily backups take only about 20% longer over VPN than if the system was actually on your local network). This is good, if you don't have bandwidth caps.

I haven't yet gotten it to auto-connect and auto-reconnect yet, but I haven't tried too hard either, since I already have LogMeIn Hamachi VPN Gateway working fine on a Windows 7 VM, and Windows 8 Hamachi clients (even though Hamachi doesn't "support" Windows 8 yet).

Anyhow, back to the native capabilties,here's how a Windows client connection looks (it's not automatically connected), when you click on the Network icon in the Taskbar Tray area of a client PC that has the connector installed and has been granted VPN remote access from the Dashboard (use super duper passwords!):

VPN-connection-that-client-connector-created.png

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jason

Ah, so you're saying that it IS possible to do remote WHS-style backups of client PCs. In another thread it was suggested that it isn't possible. Perhaps it's a case wherein WSE2012 can do it but WS2012 cannot.

Just wondering out loud as to how long this would take? I've always been told the overhead on a VPN connection is about 40% and now you are using a connection that is considerably slower to perform a task of that magnitude.

Not saying this isn't a good idea, just looking for some potential obstacles to overcome.

(do the initial one on your local network, subsequent daily backups take only about 20% longer over VPN than if the system was actually on your local network).

Ah, so you're saying that it IS possible to do remote WHS-style backups of client PCs. In another thread it was suggested that it isn't possible. Perhaps it's a case wherein WSE2012 can do it but WS2012 cannot.

So remote client backups ARE possible or are not? And must the client be on the domain to backup?

So remote client backups ARE possible or are not? And must the client be on the domain to backup?

If they are remote, they are not "on" the domain. If you mean a "Domain Member" then quite possibly yes from what others have been posting.

So the latest article implies that while WSE2012 doesn't include the Hyper-V role, you can still install the free MS hyper-v module. This may have just convinced me to replace my current WS2012RTM box with WSE2012 once it goes RTM. Only I wouldn't utilize the domain component of WSE2012.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/a-server-for-the-rest-of-us-hands-on-with-windows-server-2012-essentials/

Guest no-control

So the latest article implies that while WSE2012 doesn't include the Hyper-V role, you can still install the free MS hyper-v module. This may have just convinced me to replace my current WS2012RTM box with WSE2012 once it goes RTM. Only I wouldn't utilize the domain component of WSE2012.

http://arstechnica.c...012-essentials/

Read more carefully it tells you to run Hyper-V server 2012 then create a VM of WS2012e. Big difference from what you implied above. Also WS2012e REQUIRES you utilize the domain/active directory component, there is no other way to install it.

Thanks no control for the clarification. Curious as to why they've made the AD/domain component required. For those with machines already joined to another domain, this throws a wrench.