RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive options for new server

Andrew H

Hi all,

I used to run on an SBS 2011 Standard Dell machine with a HP Data Vault as backup/storage etc. Last year I removed the SBS 2011 from the system, and am just now using the Data Vault with WSS1. However I would like to upgrade this to a Micro Server running WS 2012 Essentials and go back to the domain environment I had before with SBS.

My question relates to the drives you guys are looking at using with these servers. I would like to go with two of either the Seagate or WD 2TB drives (would go with green WD drives). I would mirror these using the HP RAID in a RAID-1. Is it worth using the 250GB drive as an OS drive, getting an SSD or just putting the 60GB as the OS partition on the main mirror? I would like to minimize power consumption as much as possible, which is why I am shying away from the 3 drive setup if possible. I certainly don’t want to use any more power than the existing HP Data vault.

Thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks.

Andrew.

1. I would not go with Seagate. This is a personal prejudice. I've had way too many bad experiences with Seagate drives; I refuse to use them anymore.
  2. Now that the WD Red drives are out, I would go with them rather than the Greens. I've had trouble with Greens; not as much as Seagate, but they tend to develop bad sectors more frequently than other drives I've used. There is a great article on pcper that I highly recommend you read: http://www.pcper.com...ive-Full-Review. It really explains why you don't want to use Green drives in a RAID array.
  3. I always try to keep the OS drive separate from the Data drives. Drives don't use that much power when idling. I would go with at least a 3-drive setup. In my case I used 2 mirrored drives for my OS.
  4. As I always recommend, make sure you have a good backup plan that includes at least 3 copies of your data, 1 of them offsite.

lols there really are two kinds of HDD people in the world ... Seagate ones and Western Digital ones. I've had all my bad experiences with WD drives and never had an issue with seagate drives. :)

I've had limited hard drive expereince, but the the 2TB Seagate green drives and the Barracudas have been trouble free for 12 months as too for some 4 week old 3Tb WD Red drives.

If you are running RAID, I'd go with the WD RED drive or any drive that is RAID certified as per the link IKON posted.