RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network location backed up?

Guest Wizzy

Hello,

I run WHS 2011, have connected one external drive to my router via USB and another external drive to my other computer. Is there any chance to get those drives backed up from the location they are connected?

I tried to add Server Shared folder from the network location, however it did not allow me to do this, I also haven't found any other way to get the network drives backed up with WHS 2011.

Regards,

--

David A. Metawek

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Renny

There is no prospect of backing up the USB drive attached to your router using WHS.

You may be able to backup the external drive attached to a PC running the WHS connector if you map that drive to the host PC (not sure about this)

I assume you want to maintain the portability of these external drives?

If this is the case you can create a share on the server and use something like Synctoy or AlwaySync to keep the data backed up.

Edited by Renny

I wouldn't go so far as to say there is 'no way' you can back up that router-attached drive. If it's a normal non-Windows router, you certainly will not be able to back it up using the WHS Connector. Howeve, if the drive is shared (and I presume it must be; otherwise why even have it) you could copy the data by running a Scheduled Task on your WHS2011. Renny has alluded to this by mentioning Synctoy and AlwaysSync. My own choice would be RoboCopy.

A Scheduled Task could be set up that would run every night, for example, and RoboCopy all the shared files from the USB drive to a folder on your WHS2011. It would work very well (I do a similar process on my WHS2011 every night).

I'm a bit confused about your 'other computer'. Is it a Windows computer? If so, why don't you just install the WHS Connector and back it up that way? WHS will back up external drives via the Connector, as well as internal.

Finally, what exactly do you mean by 'network drives'? Don't know what to tell you about them because I'm not sure what they are in this context.

Thanks for your reply.

About your question @ikon, I use USB attached drive to my router CISCO Linksys EA4500, it treats it as shared location I map over my machines, my main machine is Windows 7 on what I have installed the connector, however once I go to the dashboard and want to set backup for the mapped drive for the machine where I have installed the connector the drive does not present, any other way to get it to work apart the using RoboCopy etc?

No, you cannot backup a mapped drive. If you think about it, it makes. A mapped drive is not really on your Win7 machine; it's only a link. That's why I suggested using a Scheduled Task and RoboCopy to back up the files to your server. It's not hard to set up.

Agreed.....if you know the IP address of the device, its really simple to do. Hostname is okay if it is resolving in DNS somewhere.

Try the quotes are around router drive and not the entire syntax

\\name-of-location\"router drive"\

or map a drive to the location and use the windows drive

You are using your external IP from what I can tell ans you should be using your internal IP address for the device. Either way, I would use this syntax:

robocopy \\sourcehostname\drivename$\foldername\ \\destinationhostname\foldername\ /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:T /MT:10

If you can browse to the drive, pre-populate the folders you want.

The one you posted did not work because of this:

\\x.x.x.x"\router The quote were not needed.