RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Battery Backup

John H

Has any installed the battery backup software that comes with a battery backup to the home server? I have my server plugged into an APC battery backup but I have not installed the software for shuting down the server. Is there an add-in for APC?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• roddy

• Removed

So, I got Grid Junction and it doesn't see my cyber power UPS. Haven't fiddled with it much but was a bit disappointed. Any thoughts?

There is a compatibility list??? Crap, I didn't know that! My point is...I've used Grid Junction on a dozen or so setups and never had an issue.

John_H

Have you tried just configuring the power options from the control panel? All five of my UPS units are configured that way including the two from my servers and they seem to work fine. I have used this on APC and Cyberpower.

I used the APC software that came with my APC 750. It's works and I don't have to worry about anything. I get to it via a shortcut I created with the add-in called "Advanced Admin Console". Works for me.

TheGuy

I also use the Grid Junction addin. I started using it over 2 years ago. It does it's thing and I forget about it.

I have used three methods with my APC UPS and my WHS. I have used the Power Chute personal edition of APC software, the Power Chute Business edition of the APC software and Grid Junction Add-in.

The Grid Junction Add-In does all the basic power management activates that Power Chute does with the exception one item Grid Junction does not give you a place to record the date of your last battery replacement. So I just store a document on the server desktop with that information.

Grid Junction is a quality product and given the choice between Free APC software and Free Grid Junction add-in I will continue to use Grid Junction on my WHS.

I use Power Chute on my last Win XP Desktops box and the built in battery management on Windows 7 desktops.