RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install Connector and Skip Domain Join

Drashna Jaelre

Put your local machine account into the credential manager and you should be free from having to enter domain credentials to get at a share as long as you give that account access.

Might I suggest you create a group called "Local NonDomain Access" or something similar and you can populate the non-Domain accounts in there with the level of access desired or just give everyone access which will be much less secure.

I have been using the "skipdomainjoin" on 3 clients for about 4 months.  Only use the server for backups and media storage.  If you have W8 clients with windows live logins then they can't be used.  This did not cause any problems for me.  The backups have been working since day 1.  I did have a problem that the server media shares did not show up on the clients but after a little research it seems the "computer browser" service was disabled. I suspect this has something to do with the "skipdomainjoin".  Once enabled and started the clients could see and use the media files.

just out of curiosity, is there any way to move the location of the server media shares? ie. if I'd like to make the "videos" folder be the same one where my iTunes movies are stored...so I maximize options of 

Plex, Itunes home sharing, DLNA, etc...

I have been using the "skipdomainjoin" on 3 clients for about 4 months.  Only use the server for backups and media storage.  If you have W8 clients with windows live logins then they can't be used.  This did not cause any problems for me.  The backups have been working since day 1.  I did have a problem that the server media shares did not show up on the clients but after a little research it seems the "computer browser" service was disabled. I suspect this has something to do with the "skipdomainjoin".  Once enabled and started the clients could see and use the media files.

I noticed when I browse the network on my client PC (which didnt join the domain), I dont see the server there...but, I'm able to connect using the \\servername\share syntax in explorer....should I be able to see the server itself in the "Network" area of explorer on my client PC (which is win8 by the way)?

You can relocate the WHS default folder shares. Just go into the DashBoard, then Shared Folders, then right-click a folder you want to move. A wizard will guide you through the process.

I don't know if you can move the folder to inside another folder, or if you can give it a different name. You might have an issue trying to amalgamate the iTunes and Videos folders together. I would try it and see.

I noticed when I browse the network on my client PC (which didnt join the domain), I dont see the server there...but, I'm able to connect using the \\servername\share syntax in explorer....should I be able to see the server itself in the "Network" area of explorer on my client PC (which is win8 by the way)?

You could try making the Win8's workgroup the same name as your server's domain name. Might work, might not.

Issues like this are why I consider it simpler & easier to have clients join the domain (except if the client has to be joined to another domain, an argument for MS to get off their butts and make it possible to have Windows computers joined to more than 1 domain).

Just to clarify for others, you are talking about Computer Browser on the clients, correct?

No, I'm talking about on the server.  I type administrative services and in control panel a list of services is shown. The Computer Browser Service was disabled. I enabled it and then set the service to start automatically. Then 'bingo' the shared media files on the server were able to be seen by all the clients in file explorer.  No server restart was required.  I assume this service is not normally disabled by default and if so then the "SkipDomainJoin" may disable it. This was pointed out to me by someone in this forum.

Edit:

Just read this:

"Browser service is disabled on a standard installation of SBS 2011 which would disable the network discovery.

Check and turn it on / set it to automatic".

So maybe it is off in 2012E by default!!!!!!

Edited by Poppapete

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this discussion thread still has a lot of life in it, right here in the forum, and via comments added below the DNS side-effect article, back when I documented the workaround method I eventually settled on (that Microsoft said they'll avoid the need for, eventually):

Windows Server 2012 Essentials – Connector installation

Posted by Paul Braren on Sat Mar 2nd, 2013

Windows Server 2012 Essentials remote client loses its Internet connection, here’s your DNS-related fix

Posted by Paul Braren on Sun Sep 9th, 2012