RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install Connector and Skip Domain Join

Drashna Jaelre

If you elect to install the connector on a client PC and skip the domain join step, is it possible to go back and manually join that client PC to the WS2012e domain or must you uninstalled and re-install the connector to do this?

I currently have a remote client PC on which I've already installed the connector that is NOT currently on the domain. Am trying to avoid having to re-install connector and reset my client backup for this PC if possible. Thanks.

I don't think you have to reset the backups. I've re-installed the connector before and, as long as I used exactly the same computer name, it kept using the existing backups. Re-installing the OS is a different story IIRC.

Once the connector is installed, you shouldn't need to reinstall it... barring other issues.

You should be able to join, or leave the domain "at will", with no issues. Emphasis on should.

Trying to install the WHS Connector on a client over the internet via a VPN. Seriously? Don't think too many people will be trying to do that.

Trying to install the WHS Connector on a client over the internet via a VPN. Seriously? Don't think too many people will be trying to do that.

Was an experiment. Believe it or not, it actually works. For some reason, I thought you could remote join a PC to the WS2012e domain via the internet. Rather you have to access the remotewebaccess page, install connector (skip domain join) and then set the VPN to stay connected and it will perform scheduled client backups like any other PC on your LAN. Only it won't be a domain member and domain policy won't be enforced.

Also, FWIW Hamachi VPN has proven to be as reliable as a local, wired network connection when performing initial client PC backups to WS2012e. Unfortunately, the built-in WS2012e VPN client isn't as reliable during the first backup but can be used reliably after the larger, initial backup has been successfully completed.

Yes, Hamachi maintains a constant connection between client and server as long as your ISP stays online. WS2012e's VPN seems to have intermittent connectivity issues despite the ISP staying online. It doesn't drop connection, but something happens to the tunnel that's significant enough to interrupt a WS2012e client backup to the point where it won't get beyond 1%.