RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install Connector and Skip Domain Join

Drashna Jaelre

Does Remote Join on WSE2012 mean a client PC with connector installed can securely backup to a remote WSE2012 server over the Internet? Currently I use LogMeIn Hamachi 2 on family PCs out of state to accomplish this with WHS2011.

I'm sure you're right, in that I'll bet it uses VPN technology to establish the connection. However, it seems like it might have the advantage that it's way easier to use (i.e. set up) than standard VPN.

I'm sure you're right, in that I'll bet it uses VPN technology to establish the connection. However, it seems like it might have the advantage that it's way easier to use (i.e. set up) than standard VPN.

I agree with ikon. This will be pretty cool if it works. Speaking of "poor man's VPN", I currently run the LogMeIn Hamach 2 VPN client on my WHS 2011 VM in a hub-and-spoke configuration and backup family PCs to my WHS via the internet w/ encryption. Sure, it's not military grade, but it maintains a constant tunnel connection and backups up automatically as if the client PC resided in the house on my home LAN.

Tried em both, and yeah, the VPN built in is amazingly easy!

So if the above tweak to keep from joining the domain means permanently loosing VPN access capabilities, then yes, instead, I'd say I'll stick with this procedure (particular for media center autologon PCs and test VMs in a lab):

• installing the connector
  • reboot
  • choosing this user only, saying no to migrating user data
  • then on first login, go right back to COMPUTERNAME\username and password for local login
  • go to System, Change, re-join the workgroup instead of the domain
  • double-check that the domain join didn't hard code the Windows Server 2012 IP as your DNS (while leaving the IP as DHCP), this can be a problem if you're trying to install remotely (and lose connection after reboot)
  • reboot

Then you're all set, no side-effects, all the functionality (VPN, network shares, backups, etc).

After installing the connector and rebooting, just click on your network icon in the taskbar, then click on the name.remotewebaccess.com item to connect the VPN, no password prompt, it just works. But haven't gotten it to autostart yet, if that's easy enough, then it could become a replacement for my multi year success with Hamachi VPN. I did notice that the remote PC can only get to/ping the Windows Server 2012 Essentials server. This means you can't access other network resources from the remote PCs, which is a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon your needs/wishes.

Guest no-control

@ Drashna while I quoted your posts for purposes of discussion, I was answering in a general way. Not addressing you're specific situation. There will always be special circumstances.

For everyone else.....in general ;)

I'm still failing to understand the need to have every PC on your network in the domain. An HTPC can live outside of the domain and access the shares via using a user name and password for accessing those shares. You can still auto logon (or not use a logon at all) HTPC are specialized PCs once its working create a backup image, and enable system restore. More than enough disaster recovery.

If you just HAVE to have it in the domain I'm with jmwlls on this use GPO and an HTPC OU to control the behavior.

Better yet why do you guys even want this product on your network if you don't want to deal with a domain? Someone explain this logic to me?

Does Remote Join on WSE2012 mean a client PC with connector installed can securely backup to a remote WSE2012 server over the Internet? Currently I use LogMeIn Hamachi 2 on family PCs out of state to accomplish this with WHS2011.

No it does not. I said JOIN a domain, not CONNECT. Very different, its not a VPN. Normally when you want to join a computer to a domain you need to have it turned on and have network access to the domain controller. Offline domain join allows you to join the domain with out a connection to the DC. Its a bit of a moot point since WS2012e doesn't support this feature anyway. Read more here.

Edited by no-control

No it does not. I said JOIN a domain, not CONNECT. Very different, its not a VPN. Normally when you want to join a computer to a domain you need to have it turned on and have network access to the domain controller. Offline domain join allows you to join the domain with out a connection to the DC. Its a bit of a moot point since WS2012e doesn't support this feature anyway. Read more here.

Ah. So NOT a new feature then. Oh well, nice idea; maybe some day.

• 1 month later...

If you elect to install the connector on a client PC and skip the domain join step, is it possible to go back and manually join that client PC to the WS2012e domain or must you uninstalled and re-install the connector to do this?

I currently have a remote client PC on which I've already installed the connector that is NOT currently on the domain. Am trying to avoid having to re-install connector and reset my client backup for this PC if possible. Thanks.