RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving drives from a MediaSmart

jdomm95

I have a hp MediaSmart server with 5 drives in it (one through E-SATA). The power supply is toast, and I'm wondering what would happen if I plug the drives into another server. I have a Dell server and I have a new hp N40L. Would either of these even recognize the volumes and let me get files off of them? I'm not concerned with getting the OS to work again, I just want to recover the files.

The MediaSmart's OS is the one it came with. Some kind of modified for HP Win Home Server. The Dell server is windows based. I think it is Win 7, but not sure about that. The N40L has WHS 2011 on it. I don't know what the RAID setup is. It is all done with the mediasmart. It lets you add drives and it says it balances the load to the different drives when you add more files. I'm guessing it is a SW based volume instead of from a RAID controller. I was hoping someone would know the standard setup from MediaSmart HS.

What's the OS and how were the drives being presented to the OS? DE, RAID, etc?

I have a hp MediaSmart server with 5 drives in it (one through E-SATA). The power supply is toast, and I'm wondering what would happen if I plug the drives into another server. I have a Dell server and I have a new hp N40L. Would either of these even recognize the volumes and let me get files off of them? I'm not concerned with getting the OS to work again, I just want to recover the files.

That's part of the beauty of the MSS -- you can get your data off of the drives

See: How To: Recover Data After Server Failure

It's possible you might also be able to replace the power Supply

See: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4379-looking-for-a-mediasmart-server-power-supply/

That's part of the beauty of the MSS -- you can get your data off of the drives

See: How To: Recover Data After Server Failure

It's possible you might also be able to replace the power Supply

See: http://homeserversho...r-power-supply/

I rigged up a different power supply and plugged it in. It worked for about 2 days and then it went bad. I think I must have some kind of short in the server drawing too much power. Thanks for the migration tips. Also, what is MSS?

If you have an external docking station for 3.5" disk drives, you should be able to get the data off the drives that way.

I rigged up a different power supply and plugged it in. It worked for about 2 days and then it went bad. I think I must have some kind of short in the server drawing too much power. Thanks for the migration tips. Also, what is MSS?

That is pretty strange. If the mobo has a short you would think the PSU would die almost immediately; that, or it would go into protective shutdown mode.